Audio Modem Riser

malarky 20:14 26 Jun 03

My motherboards BIOS has 'AC97 support for Modem'. Does this mean that the board has a built-in Modem that just needs to be connected? It also has 'AC97 support for audio' which gives me sound. Can anyone shed any light on this?

Bodi 21:38 26 Jun 03

but at least this will bump your thread to the top again.

The AC97 support for modem, methinks, refers to a modem inserted into the AMR slot (have forgotten the correct name, but sometimes made by the motherboard manufacturers). The second reference is for your on-board sound.

If I'm wrong, someone will no doubt correct me.

Bodi

If I recall is not an AMR an Audio Modem Riser and basically give the connection for the telephone line to the PC, the "Real" modem being a software modem running from Windows?

If you motherboard has a small (perhaps 3cm) brown slot just above or below the graphics then this is the AMR. Buy a AMR card and you should find it has a software program that acts as the modem.

Alternatively, V92 modems can be had from Dabs or Ebuyer for as little as £10.

AdeJ 21:52 26 Jun 03

Have a read of this:
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…