Audio CD won't play on domestic player

pj123 18:14 28 Mar 05

A long time ago in the dark ages (1970s) I played clarinet in a jazz band in the local pubs and clubs.

All the sessions were recorded on to the old portable mono cassette recorder.

I am now trying to put these recordings on to CD but having burned them successfully they don't play on my standalone CD player. They will play on four other people's standalone CD player and they will play on my standalone DVD player and my car CD player. They will also play on my PCs DVD player but not the CD player.

I have also converted them to MP3 and they play OK in my MP3 player.

But why not on my standalone CD player?

Andybear 18:32 28 Mar 05

Not all CD players are CD-R/CD-RW compatible. My personal one is but my micro system isn't. Why not check the instruction manual which came with your CD player? It should say on there whether it is or not.

Colinp 19:15 28 Mar 05

It has been recorded onto CD with the file extension .cda hasn't it?

Simsy 05:29 29 Mar 05

most audio CD players, except those made within the last couple of years, (and even then not all of them), will not play CDRW discs. (Some will not even play CDR discs, as mentioned by andybear).

This is because the technology that enables the "re-writeability" of the discs means that they are much less reflective, and the laser beam doesn't reflect back off the surface brightly enouhg to be accurately read.

CD and DVD drives made for PCs have better reading heads so this isn't a problem.

It might be possible to rectify the situation if you can somehow clean the laser in the CD player. I believe that there is some kit available that can do this.

Regards,

Simsy

pj123 15:11 29 Mar 05

Yes it was burnt as a CD Audio disk using a CDR and in Windows Explorer and PowerDesk it shows as 20 tracks all .cda

It is not a CD/RW.

pj123 17:27 29 Mar 05

We (the band) also recorded 3 LPs and I have just now saved and burnt them to CD and they all play perfectly on my CD player, but not the tracks from a mono cassette.

Anyone (who likes jazz) wants a copy email me your address and I will send you a CD.

BlueMeanie 18:21 29 Mar 05

My neighbour had the same problem as you, and we resolved this by purchasing AUDIO blank CDs. These were "Datsafe Media Audio 80 CD-R" disks.

I have a few left if you wish to try one, just e-mail me your postal address (use the yellow envelope icon).

Regards & Easter wishes.

pj123 11:11 30 Mar 05

BlueMeanie, that is very nice of you. email on its way.

Thank you.

DieSse 11:23 30 Mar 05

Somtimes you can improve compatability by recording at a lower speed, and/or by changing the brand of CD-R you use, There is no particular advantage in using "Audio" CD-Rs (and they cost more!).

DieSse 11:23 30 Mar 05

Somtimes you can improve compatability by recording at a lower speed, and/or by changing the brand of CD-R you use, There is no particular advantage in using "Audio" CD-Rs (and they cost more!).

pj123 11:49 30 Mar 05

DieSse, yep understand that. I tried burning 3 CDs at different speeds 16, 12 and 8. All the same, yet they all play on other people's players, just not mine. They do play on my portable CD walkman type player which I can play through my Hi-Fi so not too much of a problem. Just be nice to know why, though.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…