Audio CD burn, difference with Audio & mp3 files?

quitiraq 19:17 27 Apr 08

Using Nero to burn radio recordings made with Alive via Real in mp3 audio format, Nero Express tool asks is it an Audio CD, audio&date CD or MP3 disc. Which should I choose? I still sometimes use a portable CD player (bought 10 years ago don't think this reads MP3 files) though I do have an MP3 stick on which music can be played, and of course the PC reads MP3 too. On my PC there's Real, Nero and Media Player. Am I right in thinking MP3 files are bulkier that audio and data? Can an old portable CD player read Audio files, I know it doesn't read mp3. Grappling with the best way to burn gets very confusing and my experience is limited. Would anyone be kind enough to put me straight/point me to an idiot proof tutorial site...

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:24 27 Apr 08

Can an old portable CD player read Audio files,

Yes CDDA burn as Audio in Nero.

To burn MP3 files burn as data in Nero

Mp3 files are much smaller than Audio files you can get about 5x times more on a CD but of course will not play in stand alone Cd players such as Car CDs.

Stuartli 20:32 27 Apr 08

Actually you can buy car ICE units that will play a range of CDs, including MP3 and WMA, plus DVDs.

Examples:

click here

click here

Stuartli 20:38 27 Apr 08

Don't confuse Audio CDs with standard blank CD and DVD media - they are intended for a particular purpose i.e. for use with a dedicated domesticaled audio standalone recorder.

quitiraq 21:53 27 Apr 08

Fruitbat, hi, kind of you to respond.

So if I decide to scrap listening via CD player it would be best to burn the file as MP3 in Nero Express?

The size difference gen u indicate re MP3 files and Audio, very useful to me. Thanks.

Stuartli
Not clear about your comment "don't confuse Audio CDs with Standard blank CD and DVD media". My object is to burn some Alive recorded audio files (mp3 format) on to a blank non-rerecordable CD. Needed to understand how to get a maximum amount onto 1 CD as some of my MP3 files are big (3 hour long broadcast). Perhaps it isn't possible to get such big files onto a single CD, in which case another recording of the audio broadcast in point will be necessary, this time breaking it up into 2 or 3 parts (it was a BBC7 Best of Dad's Army 3 hour special).

Thanks though for helping me on my way.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:29 27 Apr 08

Forget the time, think more in file size.

An audio book in MP3 format can fit onto 1 CD (640Mb) but may last up to 10 hours in listening time.

Stuartli 22:54 27 Apr 08

It was based on your thread title...:-)

Reckon about 3MB per song title for MP3 tracks - divide 700MB (CDs) by that figure or up to 4.7GB on a DVD to estimate the number of tracks.

quitiraq 00:25 28 Apr 08

Fruitbat, ok re size/time issue, thanks.

Stuartli, sorry if thread title misled. Thanks for timely rescue info. :)

All the software instruction READING/INFO one is expected to digest to be able to take even the most basic of steps is a point of irritation to me though. Thank god for PC Advisor which gets straight to the point minimum time waste.

theDarkness 05:14 28 Apr 08

Many portable, living room and car stereos can now play the mp3 format, you would be wise to invest in a new one of any of the above that is mp3 compatible! how big are most of your 3 hour mp3 files? The higher the bitrate then the higher the sound quality. and so larger the file will be, but you should be able to get a few onto a normal blank cd. When burning mp3s the option is usually to burn them as "data" or mp3 (obviously!). This one option leaves your mp3 files untouched so you will need a stereo that can read the mp3 format. Burning as audio usually refers to the standard audio sound format. This is the format all high st music albums come in that all stereos will play. The audio format with date is identical but with added information that certain stereor may be able to display such as song names and date of recording. Normal stereos should be able to play these discs even if this added info is missing.

Stuartli 11:26 28 Apr 08

As Fruit Bat /\0/\ says, you should easily get a three-hour MP3 recording onto a blank 700MB CD-R disk.

By the way, apart from the usual suspects for playing MP3s on a computer system, there's also an MP3 player feature in Irfanview.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…