Audio Cassettes on to a PC

bgrave 27 Feb 12
Answered

Hello I have inherited a number of analogue audio cassettes which contain the voice of my late Father in Law conversing with other village elders. I would like to get the content of the tapes on to my PC. How do I do this and what kit do I need ?.

I am presuming that I will need some sort of a audio cassette tape player.

Once they are on the PC I am hoping to be able run them and perhaps remove some of the rumbles and clicks and finally save them to a CD for this I do have Roxo 2010.

john bunyan 27 Feb 12

I use a radio cassette player. Get a lead from (eg) Maplin with a 3.5 phono male plug at each end. One end into the headphone socket of the cassette player, the other into the microphone socket of the PC sound card. Use Roxio "Capture from Sound Card".Edit and burn CD. Too much to put here but ideally a separate sound card is better.Takes time as it is in real time.

Batch 27 Feb 12

Alternative software widely used for this sort of thing is Audacity Click Here

Once again, description of all you need to do / understand is too much to put here. Suggest you read the instructions / help available for the software itself.

Connection of cassette player to PC is same as above.

robin_x 27 Feb 12

When you have completed your recordings, you are aware how easy it is for digital data to be lost or corrupted in these modern times?

Keep multiple copies.

eg Main drive and another drive

CD/DVDs

Online such as Dropbox

And always keep the original sources.

bgrave 27 Feb 12
Answer

Thank you all for your input I will now start looking around.

Aitchbee 27 Feb 12

I used to use a piece of software called Soundforge.

Whatever package you use, you might be able to remove any unwanted noises on the tapes, and use 'cut and paste' to build up a good commentary, from your late father-in-law.

Good Luck.

eedcam 28 Feb 12

Bgrave just to muddy the waters a wee bit more you might grab this freebie (today only) may be a bit easier to work with than Audacity though Audio recorder

This is their website wher you can see what it is and even a little video Site and video

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Should I upgrade to Windows 10? 8 reasons why you should upgrade to Windows 10... and 2 why you…

We are being sold the ability to spend money we don't have. And we love it

IKinema aims to banish droopy shoulders and wonky spines in animated CG characters

How to use Apple Music in the UK: Complete guide to Apple Music's features

We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message