audio cassette to laptop

gasser 15:20 22 Aug 08

I want to transfer old favourite cassettes to my laptop. There is no 'line-in' socket on the laptop. Can i connect cassette 'ear' to laptop 'mic' without blowing it up? Will it work? I was going to use Audacity for the software.

pchelper001 15:43 22 Aug 08

you could try this, it saved a lot of hassle for me :)

click here

Jim_F 19:52 22 Aug 08

It should work but I don't rate much for the quality - start with a low volume setting on the cassette player and see how it sounds through the computer - headphones are best for this.

Technically there is an impedance mismatch between loudspeaker (10's of ohms) and the mic input (1,000's of ohms) which can mess up the frequency response and speaker (also headphone) outputs do generate the most distortion in any system but if it sounds alright to you I wouldn't knock it - the bass drum on Sgt Pepper was recorded using a speaker as a mic and it sounds pretty good to me :)

100andthirty 18:00 23 Aug 08

If the ideas from other don't work try googling "usb sound card".

This
click here

is an example of what you can get

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…