Audacity, Question about volume.

Zorgalite 23:07 29 Jun 06

Hi, I'm wondering if anyone can help. I have been using Audacity to rip my old tapes to mp3 files. I followed the instructions from the Audacity web site, which said to "Normalise" the tracks first, and then do "noise removal". It realy does clean away the old tape hiss, and I think it is a great (and free) programe, but the only one small problem I have, is that if I then play these files on mp3 player or convert them to cd, the volume is a lot less than a normal mp3 file/cd, which means having to adjust the volume all the time. Is there anyway to ensure that the final volume comes out at equivelant to that of a normal cd or mp3?
Any help greatly appreciated.

brundle 23:10 29 Jun 06

Normalise again after using noise removal - if there any any spikes in the wave display, ie where it reaches the maximum height of the display, that will decide the overall volume maximisation - highlight the peaks and reduce the volume if it doesn't make a big difference to the overall recording, then normalize the whole lot again.

Zorgalite 00:36 30 Jun 06

brundle. I tried that and it didn't seem to make any difference. The only thing I have found is that you can amplify (from the effects menu) and that did seem to make a difference. But I was hoping for an easy (same standard volume every time) way round this. But it is maybe just a case of trial and error and tweaking.
Thanks anyway.

Simsy 09:45 30 Jun 06

"normalise", you are actually setting the maximum level to be a little on the low side. (-3db)

See the Help>effects menu>normalise

Whne mixing different things together it's good to have them at about the same level as each other... if you "normalise" each item first it does make them all about the same level. It's chosen, (I presume), to make this "normal" level on the low side to prevent any thing getting too loud and causing distortion.

That's why it's happening.

Without trying it, I would guess that you'd need to increase the level by about 9db, (to a nominal +6) to get things to roughly match.

(Depending on the quality of the the original, you may be better off NOT normalising before doing the noise reduction.)

Good luck,

Regards,

Simsy

Zorgalite 11:05 30 Jun 06

Thank you for your response and explanation(good, I think), I will try this next time,ie only do noise removal with no normalising and see how it goes. Regards.

Simsy 20:24 30 Jun 06

with the results!

If it's sucessfull it will help others, who find this through a search, to know if it worked or not!

Regards,

Simsy

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…