Audacity help required please

retroman 15:58 26 Sep 06

I have just aquired one of those whizzy USB turntables which I'm planning to use to copy my old vinyl to CD. I've got it installed along with the audacity software that came with it but step 1 in the manual is 'Click on Microphone in the dropdown menu and select "Stereo Mix"'. My problem is that this box has no 'Microphone' in it and is greyed out.

When I try to record something it appears to be working but I can't hear anything and when I playback the resulting file, again, I hear nothing.

Can anybody tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Woolwell 16:36 26 Sep 06

What you want is the mixer toolbar which has a picture of a microphone on it. To the right of that is a dropdown box and in that select stereo mix.
Hope this helps.

retroman 17:20 26 Sep 06

I can see the box alright but it is greyed out and I can't do anything with it.

GaT7 18:08 26 Sep 06

Have you tried an uninstall & reinstall? If no joy, try posting your query in the Audacity forum click here. Good luck, G

Hertz Van Rentyl 19:58 26 Sep 06

Have a look in Controlpanel/sounds and audio device/audio and make sure you have the correct default devices selected for recording and playback. Also click on the "volume" for each to ensure nothing is muted.

Hertz Van Rentyl 20:09 26 Sep 06

Is your sound normally alright only Audacity should pick up your sound cards settings when it installs, a greyed out box may mean a problem with your sound software.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…