AuctionWorks

seventiesdolly 12:46 14 Mar 06

I just happened to look at the 'preferences' section on my ebay account, and noticed that 'authorization' had apparently been given to 'AuctionWorks'!!
I have done no such thing and prompltly changed all personal details on my account, but how could this have happened? I'm going to be paranoid now every time I visit ebay, frantically searching my preferences to see if anything else has been put on there.
A couple of years ago, someone hacked into my account in a similar manner and ended up completely ruining my old computer. I'm worried sick the same thing is going to happen. Luckily nothing untoward had happened to my account, but what if I hadn't happened to check on there today?

moore_mat 14:32 14 Mar 06

Hi Seventiesdolly

I've just had a look through my account and mine is showing as "authorised" as well. auctionWorks aren't necessasrily anything to be worried about though. They are used by some sellers on e-bay to handle checkout facilities ( click here ). It may well be that the first time we won an auction where the seller used this tool, then we clicked a box authorising this without realising it. It would just mean that eBay and auctionWorks could send & receive data about you as you have authorised it.

the best way to find out would be to turn the "feature" off (as you have) and keep your eyes open the next time you win something on eBay. If the seller is using auctionWorks, have a very thorough read of any screens you are asked to accept.

It might also be worthwhile e-mailing eBay on their policy for this kind of thing - I've had a quick sniff on the internet and it seems that it is normal for ebay to activate these kind of things as part of upgrade programs...

Good luck and let us know if you find anything out!

M@

skidzy 14:43 14 Mar 06

Have you the Ebay toolbar installed...If so,i would recommend you uninstall it.Its known to have a few problems,im not sure if this is connected to Auctionworks,my opinion the toolbar is worthless anyway.
Just an idea if you have the toolbar.

GANDALF <|:-)> 14:56 14 Mar 06
  spuds 15:01 14 Mar 06

moore_mat seems to have covered most things on AuctionWorks. Its another one of those 'hidden' procedures that works for EBay,PayPal and the seller.

Somewhere along the line, you have made a purchase that a seller used a different method to that of eBay/PayPal processes.If you do a print-out of all your sales, then the evidence will be available there, or should be.

seventiesdolly 17:51 14 Mar 06

Thanks for your replies. What you said 'spuds', about a different check out method, I did complete a transaction only yesterday that was different to any other I had done, so maybe that was it?
Although it doesn't seem to be anything sinister thankfully, I think it's a bummer that these things can just apply themselves to your account just like that. You'd think that ebay could send an email automatically to the account holder when anything like that occurs, just to check it's allowed.
Thanks again.

spuds 18:05 14 Mar 06

seventiesdolly--Sounds like yesterdays transaction that brought this to your attention. Nothing to really worry about, at this stage, as you have taken the necessary safety steps.

eBay will not notify you, in theory it as nothing to do with them!!.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac