ATX power Supply 20 pin in 24pin socket?

surfsteruk 19:49 01 Feb 06

Hi.

I've just recieved me new system today and i was busy putting everything togerther until I came to the power supply motherboard plug. I'm using my previous ATX Supply which has a 20pin plug but the motherboard has a 24pin socket. DOH!

I've just googled the problem and have discovered that I can buy a convertor at Maplins. But at the moment I'm too eager to wait till tomorow so I looked further into google and have read a few threads that seem to say its ok to use the 20pin plug in the 24pin socket.

It does fit! but it leaves 4 holes empty and I just want so find out if its ok to power up?

Hope you can help!

Diodorus Siculus 19:56 01 Feb 06

I'd err on the side of caution and wait till I got the adaptor...

Totally-braindead 20:06 01 Feb 06

Wouldn't recommend it just in case. I bought mine from Aria click here

ade.h 21:36 01 Feb 06

It must be doable, provided you put it in the right way, because my most recent motherboard came with a four-pin blanking plate covering one end of the socket. It wouldn't have that if it wasn't possible right?

ade.h 21:37 01 Feb 06

Of course, it may depend on the board. Check the manual.

surfsteruk 22:45 01 Feb 06

Its an ASUS AN8 SLi Premium 939 motherboard. Have read the manual throghly but doesnt mention much about the power plug.

I'll give it a try and see how it works.

ade.h 23:27 01 Feb 06

If it helps at all, I found the blanking plate on the left end of the power socket, nearest to the edge of the board.

surfsteruk 02:12 02 Feb 06

Booted the computer up and everything seems to works fine! I will, however get the convertor tomorrow..But for now, its on to installing all the drivers!

Thanks for the advice!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos