ATX Power Connection Problem

Sorted 13:17 13 Mar 05

I am attempting to put a new system together and have encountered a problem. I am using an ASUS K8V SE Deluxe motherboard + Tagan 480W power supply - the board has connections for 20 pin ATXpwr and 4 pin ATX12v power - the manual says to connect both otherwise there may not be sufficient power provided to the CPU. The problem/confusion is that if I just connect the 20pin connector the system powers on okay i.e. motherboard light comes, front case LED's light up and all fans (inc CPU) are working fine. However, if I also connect the 4 pin, the fans start to cut out and the system generally doesnt like it. I'm fairly sure I have the connections the right way round. Do you think the power supply unit may be at fault or the motherboard or that I should not worry about the 4 pin connector? At this stage I do not have hardrives or any other devices attached.

Giggle n' Bits 13:29 13 Mar 05

So only the long 20pin power plug/molex from the PSU should be connected. The 4pin square power/molex should Not be connected.

Sorted 14:02 13 Mar 05

Thanks for your reply-

Your reply seems to fit the answer but why do you think the manual suggests connecting both - it does say "dont forget to connect the 4 pin otherwise the system may not boot up" -
seems a bit confusing dont you think?

Cheers
Martin

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now