Attribute Raw Read Error

tallboy 20:37 17 Feb 04

Recently (probably following a Windows 2000 update) I am getting periodic 'Attribute Raw Read Error' messages with the error rate changing from 63 to 64 (or similar numbers in the 60's) and back again.

Everything seems to continue to work OK, so I'd like to know what the error rates relate to and how I stop the messages appearing!

All suggestions welcome.

moore_mat 21:37 17 Feb 04

Hi Tallboy

I don't want to be the bringer of bad news, but it could be a sign of an impending Hard Disk failiure. The only info I can find on this relates to SMART hard drives (this is a system where the hard drive tells the computer how healthy it is).
From the details at this site:-
click here
and this site:-
click here

It might be a red herring, but worthwhile investigating - any suggestions from elsewhere?

All the best

tallboy 14:16 18 Feb 04

The drive is a Segate ST360021A and it does have SMART enabled.

The SMART Health tab displays the message: 'No known problems with this drive'. However, the current Attribute is 59 and it has been down as low as 54. The threshold is 34.

I guess the only thing I can do is watch out for a decline in the Attribute number and take action if it gets as low as 40.

Thanks for the help and web page URL.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface PC release date, price and specs: All-in-one Surface PC to directly rival iMac

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…