attribute?

MAD_MIKE 01:33 08 Oct 04

when using my pc i keep getting this coming up on scren 'attribute seek error chages from 200 to 100'some times the numbers change to '100 to 200'. to clear it i have to click the 'ok' button
any body out there got any info for me on this,i
would be very greatfull.

hugh-265156 02:08 08 Oct 04

can you tell us your rough computer specs, operating system and the full error message displayed on screen? when it happens, does it happen when opening a certain application, game or when starting up windows etc? may help if you can give us some more info please.

MAD_MIKE 23:09 24 Oct 04

Sorry HUGGYG71 for not comming back to you till now but decorating took over. I am running winxp home,128DDR RAM,40GB IDE hard drive and P4 2.0GHz
(DELL DIMENSION 4500)which is now 2 years old and no i have not installed sp2,AVG and ZA with SPYBOT S&D. THE MESSAGE IS AS FOLLOWS,
'ATTRIBUTE SEEK ERRO CHANGES FROM 200 TO 100'
or
'ATTRIBUTE SEEK ERRO CHAGES FROM 100 TO 200'
with 'OK' at bottom of box.
MIKE.

hugh-265156 00:10 25 Oct 04

i am just bumping this up for you as i am not sure really and am just guessing here but im thinking along the lines of s.m.a.r.t. reporting bad sectors etc on your hard drive or similar may be the cause. how does the computer run otherwise apart from this error message?

i was going to suggest downloading a diagnostic tool from your hard drive manufacturer. i have had a look click here to find out what make of drive is installed in your system but it doesnt state the make or model sorry.

try something like click here maybe. i know this works ok with maxtor drives as well as segate drives and i am pretty sure that seatools and most diagnostic tools even from another manufacturer should run ok with any make of ide drive. run the online test or download the desktop version and boot from a floppy or cdr and tell us what it reports please?

also try running a full disk check in windows. open 'my computer' and right click your hard drive and then click 'properties/tools/error checking' tick both boxes and restart the computer to run a disk check and see what it says too maybe.

do you have any recent images or back up`s made? should the worst happen and the drive fail its good to have these to fall back on.

MAD_MIKE 01:09 30 Oct 04

i have tried the online extended drive self test-result was oktried the other test and result again ok. ihave obtained and run a copy of HDD HEALTH, even that result was ok-no known erors with this drive-but it does mention attributes,so on the right track. the drive is a WESTERN DIGITAL WD400EB-75CPFO. thanks for your help it was very much appreciated.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…