Attention regular posters/helpers

Kitz E Kat 19:08 02 May 03

Hi since first finding this site i visit quite a lot,the thing i find is that it moves too fast!
You put up a post and in a few hours its relegated to the second division !!!
Would it not be a good idea ( and its only an idea dont hit me!!)to divide the site up into different sections, ie networking, XP, 98, hardware and so on , it would slow the amount of postings on each page allowing more people to see it before it gets relegated, i know you can view all the pages but id say most people dont go past the second or third page,it would allow you to view all the current questions on your area of interest/expertise. Make sense ?? Yeah, No????
Kitz E Kat

VoG™ 19:12 02 May 03

Yes and No!

We've had these discussions in the past. The cons include:

Where do I post my question (or post in the wrong place).

Many helpers know about lots of different subjects and don't want to keep changing pages etc.

Many "lurkers" want to look at all siorts of topics.

barrie_g 19:13 02 May 03

Its a good idea but I think that having the separate "rooms" uses up a lot of server space or something plus you would find that it would split the members so that each member would tend to stick to the areas which had most interest to them, you could therefore miss out on help as people who may be of assistance may not visit that particular area.

watchful 19:19 02 May 03

It seems like a good idea but perhaps it could be improved by a section of 'Most commonly asked questions' with various headings or something.

Djohn 19:32 02 May 03

Must admit, I like it the way it is. Other forums I have visited have so many rooms I get lost! :o(

Here I can find all subjects in one place and it is so much easier to provide an answer, whithout going looking through "many Rooms" to find the original question again. J.

Pesala 19:39 02 May 03

If you describe your problem clearly and concisely you will get two or three replies so fast that it will usually be answered even before it disappears off the first page.

This forum is really active and the advice is usually spot on. Even if the answer is not so good, it will put your question back to the top, and someone will come along and say, "No, that's not the way to do it."

If you find it gets lost before it gets answered, try rephrasing it and posting again, or just bump it up to the top with a bit more explanation, details about your PC etc.

You can find it quickly by choosing My Postings

fly2hi 20:03 02 May 03

Agreed...which is why supermarkets are so successful, everything under one roof.

I tend to think you have to treat you posts like a mini website and 'resubmit' regularly if you want to be noticed. I don't think it would be regarded as being too 'pushy', would just prove that you are serious about needing some response and that you have not just posted a question and logged out, never to return. I can't think that users look at the first page as being the 'best' posts, just the most recent. I always skip back to the last date i logged in and browse through them all, even if I don't open them all. So the subject line is probably quite important.

Kitz E Kat 21:52 02 May 03

Thanks for your response, yeah i too like the way it is, a bit of everything. i did find that some of my posts gone before they got an answer.
Your advice on how to keep it there is good and i will do that in the future,the fact that there is so many posts is good and shows that it does work.
Im convinced, you win!!!!!
Happy posting
Kitz E Kat :')

caast ©™ 22:12 02 May 03

Just before you put this to bed Kitz E Kat, I have been using this forum for a couple of years or more now, When I first started I knew very little about PC's Now I know Lots more.

Enough to say that I am quite an experienced user, I have obtained my knowledge and skills from using this forum, as there is always someone in here that has the solution to your problem. Once you have been shown how to deal with a problem and had the pleasure of fixing it you can pass that knowledge on.
As others have stated I think if it was split into different sections I would have stuck to those threads that were of interest to me, i.e those threads that I felt comfortable being able to add a response.

rmn 23:01 02 May 03

didnt somebody have an idea for a seperate page for postings that dont get replied to i think thats quite a good idea i tend to look for them.but i agree with the rest like it as it is and you can always reply to your own thread which puts it back to the top.darren

woodchip 23:23 02 May 03

I think the most irritating thing is that those who ask for Help do not say what Operating System they are running, Second most irritating is they tick resolved without saying what worked

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…