Attention gamers - overheating problem

Ian in Northampton 17:50 11 Jul 13

My son is an avid gamer. System is based on an AMD Bulldozer FX4100 quad core CPU, NVIDIA 560. Possibly a Gigabyte mobo, but not sure. Never had any problems till today. It gets very warm in his room, and today, the system has begun to restart itself because it's overheating. On the front panel, there's an LCD display, which he says reads around 50 degrees when the system shuts down. I assume it's measuring either CPU temperature or ambient temeperature inside the case. It also shows a fan speed of 900rpm. According to the people he games with, the system really shouldn't have a problem at 50 degrees - they claim they run their at 80-90 (which seems very high to me).

I've stuck an external fan on the case for now to keep it going and, when I can get access, I'll take it apart to ensure that none of the vents are blocked.

My question, though, is a) is there a typical level at which a system will shut down, and b) is that temperature user-settable - and if so, how?

nickf 19:44 11 Jul 13

It rather depends on what temperature is being read on the display . 80-90 deg C is quite normal on a hard working PC . Once you have thoroughly cleaned inside the PC , double check all case fans and heat sinc fan are running . You should be able to check fans and temps in the BIOS .

Chronos the 2nd 19:45 11 Jul 13

An external fan will not really be of much use if it is the CPU that is overheating, changing the CPU cooler would be my advice. I use a closed loop water cooled system, in my case it is the Corsair H60 but there are many to choose from dependant of your sons case.

If you look in the bios you should be able to alter temperature settings, if you can post the mobo model I'll have a look.

lf my memory serves your son has not had his PC for very long so unless he has his PC in a very dusty environment then it is unlikely to be a dust issue. Ambient temperatures can be an issue but provided the PC has decent airflow through the case it really should not be an issue.

You mention fan speed but not which fan, this speed can be varied dependant on fan, whether it a PWM type or connected to a fan controller. To know whether 900rpm for a fan used with the heatsink, if that is the fan you are meaning, I would need to know what heatsink is being used.

wee eddie 21:09 11 Jul 13

Every year we have a spate of similar queries.

The main cause is that rare meteorological phenomenon ~ Continuous Sunshine!

bumpkin 21:43 11 Jul 13

Ian, "I'll take it apart to ensure that none of the vents are blocked."

When you do that check that the heatsink on the cpu is not clogged up, you may have to remove the fan to do this.

Ian in Northampton 08:24 12 Jul 13

Many thanks guys. (Chronos: you have a good memory - it was a Christmas present.) I obviously need to find out some more. I guess only the PC manufacturer (ViBox) can tell me what measurements the LCD display is showing. I'll see if I can find out the mobo/BIOS - it's a question of wrenching the mouse from his hands, at which time I'll also take a look at the BIOS. In fact, the external fan has done some marginal good, insofar as the temperature on the display is now a fairly constant 40 degrees or so - and it hasn't restarted. His room is a pretty mucky place, so it may be dust. It is also something of a sun trap. In all honesty, Chronos, I'm loath to spend any more on it, so upgrading the cooling is rather out of the question.

Jock1e: no, not W8

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…