Attempting to repair XP

MIKE. 12:42 16 Jun 07

Sorry if this seems a silly question, but on various occasions for friends and family when there windows fails to function correctly I have tried to reload windows by using the repair option. My question is some times when booting with the windows disk you have the option to do a repair and on the odd occasion you don't. What dictates if the repair option shows or does not.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:46 16 Jun 07

If the setup program cannot find the XP instalation on the HDD it will not offer the repair option.

SANTOS7 12:50 16 Jun 07

It may be that when you are prompted first time round to press any key to continue for a repair do not press anything..

MIKE. 12:53 16 Jun 07

Thanks Fruit Bat /\0/\ for your help it seems to perfect sense. My neighbour PC was coming up with an error C:/windows/system32.config/system file missing or corupt and would not boot. so I tried to do a repair seems to be a full reload for him thanks again.

MIKE. 12:54 16 Jun 07

Thanks SANTOS7 I will try your idea before a full reload.

VoG II 12:57 16 Jun 07

Fix for this error:

Windows XP could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

click here

MIKE. 13:07 16 Jun 07

Thanks VoG™ all help appreciated.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…