Attempted Denial of Service attack

Stuart Leyland 15:21 25 Apr 03

Greetings all.

Today, I have been receiving reports from my firewall (Sygate Personal Firewall) that someone is attempting a Denial of Service attack on my computer. I believe they have not managed to do anything yet but am still concerned about it.

The question is, in short, what should I do? I know there are programs that can trace the IP address of a person but what do I do then? At the moment, I do not have an IP tracer program so if you could offer any advice, I would be grateful.

Thanks for any information you can pass on about this situation.

Stuart

muppetmark 16:06 25 Apr 03

Sygate has a backtrace facility, if you go into security log and r/click on the alert in there you will be able to backtrace, & run whois not sure that you can do much about it other than block the offender .

Stuart Leyland 16:10 25 Apr 03

Thanks for that information muppetmark. If I find out who the ISP for that user is, I could contact them and ask them to take action could I not?

Terrahawk 16:22 25 Apr 03

asuuming that user is responsible, chances are the system or server has been hijacked and used as a gateway way by the person attacking you chances of him her giving away their own ip is pretty slim though such action could alert user to security problems and close the hole in their systems
any way good luck with your search and i hope you do get the real culprit, people like that we can do with out

Embezzler 16:33 25 Apr 03

Try this site click here it allows you to trace a potential Attack. It's provided by Norton.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch Series 2 review | Apple Watch 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter,…