Attempt to repair PC

destan 18:52 06 Jan 11

Hi, I have just purchased an ASUS P5K SE/EPU Motherboard to replace an ASUS P5K SE moard that has burnt out, again.
As it is out of warranty I want to save a bit of cash and at the same time become more PC hands on.
I think I get the changing of the hardware but am worried about the software required for the board, Flashing BIOS?
Original pc builder has not kept copy of BIOS they set on original build, so will have to learn how to do it myself, overclocking? etc?
Do I fit all the bits in one go or is there a set procedure?
Advice appreciated.

GaT7 19:07 06 Jan 11

It may already have the latest BIOS version installed, so check this before updating the BIOS.

You only really need to flash the BIOS in two scenarios:
1. The CPU you'll be using needs the newer BIOS version to function
2. There is some must have feature that only a newer BIOS version will provide

When you say the previous mobo 'has burnt out again', what do you mean exactly, what were the possible causes & how many have met this fate?

The usual procedure is to fit all the basic parts together: CPU with cooler, RAM, graphics card (with power if required), PSU, plus at least one hard disk & optical drive. Then in the BIOS set PC to bootup from the optical drive first & install your OS. G

GaT7 19:10 06 Jan 11

With respect to 1. in my previous post, I forgot to say that if your present CPU is a newer model & doesn't work with the ASUS P5K SE (as for example the latter has an older BIOS version installed), you'll need to get an older CPU that works in the mobo before you can flash it to the higher BIOS version. G

destan 19:15 06 Jan 11

Currently just looking in the case, screwdriver inhand. I did post back in Feb 2008 when the original NVIDIA 650I mobo burnt out, replaced by builder under warranty. This one failed to start, all fans running, HDD led ran for 4 seconds then it and the power button went out. Took it to a local PC clini to be told Mobo had burnt out/failed.
So am replacing it, as I mentiones I am happy with changing hardware but never a mobo. WIll strip it out and rebuild this evening and put my faults or success on here. It had been overclocked, does that mean the original CPU will cary on as it did?

GaT7 19:28 06 Jan 11

I see. All you have to do is detach all cable connectors to the motherboard, remove all the add-in cards, undo the screws that's securing it in place & remove it from the case. Remove mobo I/O shield (backplate) as well.

Then remove the CPU (incl its cooler) & RAM from old mobo & install unto the new mobo (some prefer doing it in the case after it is secured there).

Next attach new mobo's I/O shield to case, lower mobo into case & secure it with all the screws.

Then you can begin to slot in the add-in cards (plus secure them in place), attach all data & power cables. Don't forget to attach the CPU cooler's power connector to the appropriate header on the mobo & also supply power to the graphics card if required. Finally attach the case's startup, reset, hard drive, etc cables to the motherboard headers - check user's manual for exact connections & polarity for these. If no manual, a PDF one is easily downloaded via their website. G

GaT7 19:40 06 Jan 11

Oh, & go easy on the overclocking next time - it sure looks like you're overdoing it! I've never burnt out a single component by overclocking. G

Strawballs 19:41 06 Jan 11

When you say the original builder kept the bios so you will have to flash the bios do you mean the motherboard drivers? because the bios is already installed on the motherboard chip.

It looks like it is almost the same board as the one being replaced so it might well take the same drivers so just turn it on and see if it works if not do a repair install assuming XP

click here

GaT7 19:48 06 Jan 11

Strawballs, I think you're right.

destan, as he says, you're looking for the motherboard 'drivers', aren't you? And, as he says, being a similar board, you may not even need to reinstall the drivers.

If not, they can be easily downloaded from the Download tab at the Asus website for this particular board: click here. G

destan 20:24 06 Jan 11

Thanks to you both, will let you know how I get on. All the overclocking was done buy the original builder.

destan 01:41 07 Jan 11

Well. PC works, however it is showing a floppym drive on my computer, even though it does not have one. On start up it asks for BIOS/set up or tab twice to start OS.
Now the Ashes has finished I will have more time to look at it.
The only problem is a driver fault on the NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS graphics card, is the most up to date driver but will not let me rollback to allow me to re load the new driver, which it says it already has, Oct 2010.
slowly connecting all the peripherals, all working, getting there slowly.

destan 01:42 07 Jan 11

What do you do with old Mobo's do you send them back to the manufacturer for them to investigat the failure?

Cheers

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…