Attaching a computer wirelessly to a wired network

  Magic Hobo 15:29 27 Dec 05

Hi all. Need some help so i hope you can help. I have a wired router setup sharing my broadband between two computers. One computer needs to be moved to another part of the house and we can't get an ethernet cable there without drilling through a few things. So i was thinking that maybe there was a device that connected to one of the routers ethernet ports and transmitted the 'traffic' wirelessly to a device that connected to the computers ethernet port, thus eliminating the need for wires.

  mgmcc 20:56 27 Dec 05

The device you need is a "Wireless Access Point" which plugs into one of the router's LAN ports, effectively converting it into a "Wireless Router". Computers can then connect "wirelessly".

However, for some reason, "stand alone" Wireless Access Points tend to be expensive and you might actually be cheaper replacing your "wired" router with a "wireless" one.

  Magic Hobo 11:23 29 Dec 05

For the help

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Glassworks Barcelona shows how it captured the artistic imagination of Conor in A Monster Calls

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…