Attache USB pen drive and win2000

dodger 08:17 31 Mar 05

I have just aquired a 256meg PNY Attache usb drive and when I plug it into the usb port on my Compaq Evo D500 it causes the PC to reboot. As soon as I log in again it reboots ad infinitum.
I am running win2000 sp4. It works ok on another identical machine.Any ideas.

Diemmess 11:12 31 Mar 05

You say both computers are identical? Do they both use the same USB ports and peripherals? A Broadband Modem will zap 500m.a.of power but doesn't need USB2 speed. You might be able to re-arrange what plugs in where.

I'm simply chucking ideas around hoping something will strike a chord. I have no idea whether you can remove the drivers and reload them after a reboot without hassle.

dodger 11:22 31 Mar 05

Thanks Diemmess
The computers are both on our company network so no modems. The usb ports are not normally used and the only peripherals are a parrallel port printer.
A few weeks ago I connected my digi camera and that worked ok at the time. I don't have any other usb gear I can try in the ports. I don't have my digi camera with me.

Diemmess 11:31 31 Mar 05

A pity you don't have your camera handy. I assume the pen drive is new kit and you are (like me) a mite impatient to use it. At least the drive itself works! Worth a word with the IT manager,...or is that you too!

rawprawn 11:41 31 Mar 05

I have a Dell XP Home, and had a similar problem, it was OK when I plugged in and worked a treat, but when I unplugged it it crashed my computer. I tried for about 2 weeks to solve the problem with the help of this forum, but I gave up in the end. My camera has no problems at all. Sorry to be so pessimistic, I hope you have more luck than I did.

dodger 13:17 31 Mar 05

Yes, its new and I am impatient to use it an it should be ok with my home pc's (I hope). I wa shoping to be able to carry my home files to work without using floppy's or cd's. I'm am responsible for IT at my location, not that I have a great deal of knowledge and no training, just experience. I do have backup at HQ.
I did find a problem with disconnecting my camera from the usb port but not on my home pc, I just pull the plug when download complete.
Any other ideas?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…