ATI versus NVidia Graphics

freddy-firecracker 12:06 26 Jan 05

Hi i am looking for a new graphics card, i have a MSI P4MAM-V mainboard which i have already tried an MSI fx5200 128mb card on but with no joy, The card was not recognised although the m/board is plug & Play, tried changing the settings on th ebios but still no joy, took it back to the shop for refund and they said that all MSi cards are tested on similar systems with no problems.

I am now thinking of getting a new card, does any know of similar stories using MSI cards or boards and whether i should stick with Nvidia or try an ATI Readeon card??

Cheers
FF

ACOLYTE 12:11 26 Jan 05

I dont know why the card wasnt recognised unless it was faulty,did you have on board graffix before and disable it in bios prior to installing the new card?.As for the choice of card thats a thing everyone asks but in the end it boils down to what you can afford and what you are going to do with it.

gudgulf 12:28 26 Jan 05

You moght need to disable the onboard graphics before using an AGP card or change settings in your BIOS.Your motherboard manual should explain what you need to do to add a new card.click here if you don't have a manual to download one.

Jeffers22 13:36 26 Jan 05

For me a major plus for ATI is that you can get a very reasonably specced and priced card (Radeon 9550 series for £30 ish) WITHOUT A FAN and the noise associated with fans.

Technotiger 13:39 26 Jan 05

Hi, I too recommend ATI/Radeon, model depends on how much you want to spend - but they are all reasonably priced.

Cheers

freddy-firecracker 16:09 26 Jan 05

The onboard graphics were disabled and the AGP slot was enabled. The card was possibly faulty but the shop said it was tested and worked fine.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…