ATI Radeon X800 Problems

Jon1414 23:14 14 Jan 06

Hello, please help me.

I have a

AMD Athlon XP 2000+
640MB RAM
A brand new ATI Radeon X800 256MB AGP 8x
XFX KT400 Motherboard with Phoenix (Award) Bios

And I have a severe problem with Aspect Ratio and some colours. It seems to appear and then stay in that state. And almost always be in that state and I have to reduce my res to 800x600 and then I can just about see.

The problem was similar with my last card which I thought was faulty (hence the new one) which was an upgrade also Geforce 6600GT.

The only thing I can think of is that my motherboard isn't set to AGP 8x but to 4x which leads me to believe it's that and I am currently dealing with XFX to get an updated BIOS for this. Please please please help I am desperate to get this working and it is causing me so much grief.

JON.

VoG II 23:17 14 Jan 06

Start, Run, type

dxdiag

and click OK. Does it come up with any errors?

Jon1414 23:26 14 Jan 06

Yeah no problems with Direct X. No messages and all tests were successful.

CurlyWhirly 01:03 15 Jan 06

"The only thing I can think of is that my motherboard isn't set to AGP 8x but to 4x which leads me to believe it's that"

Do you have the SMARTGART tab as shown in my screenshot?

click here

As you can see I have the same graphics card as you.
I have my AGP speed set to 8x and I also have Fast Write set to ON but I have NO problem with my X800 so I keep it enabled for extra performance in games.

I have seen some advice saying that AGP Fast Write should be disabled if you are having card problems.
I don't know if it is enabled on yours but if it is have you tried disabling it?

Jon1414 18:52 15 Jan 06

Yeah tried that, apparantly I am now set to AGP 8x. Yet I am still having problems. Does anyone have a clue what is going on here? Maybe it's my monitor.

JON

"And I have a severe problem with Aspect Ratio and some colours. It seems to appear and then stay in that state. And almost always be in that state and I have to reduce my res to 800x600 and then I can just about see."

CurlyWhirly 16:27 19 Jan 06

Have you tried running the Troubleshooter in Display > Display Properties > Settings ?

matt4068 14:59 31 Jan 06

hi, i have a simular problem with my pc, its a pci-e radeon radeon x800. i would consider myself as an experienced pc user so i know about all usual ways of fixing things but this one is strange ;p i think its a graphics or monitor related problem but as a monitor is just simply a monitor i doubt its the monitor. basically when i start my computer the loading screen will have a load of white 1 cm long lines going all down the front. ( | | | | | | | | | | |) etc all over. if i change the resolution of the screen the monitor will try to adjust to the settings, the screen will go black and then go back to windows and then go black (as if its trying different settings) and then i will get the blue screen of death... if i run games in d3d the pc blue screen of death comes. ive only tried ut2004 and doesnt seem to have the option to have opengl. i can run the game in software mode but that sux. if i update the drivers to the latest drivers from the ati site the card doesnt work atall... and im using some random old drivers at the moment. sorry for the massive none formatted crapy english/gramar essay :p has any one else experienced this kind of problem? or know of a possible fix?

thanks, Matt

gudgulf 15:28 31 Jan 06

I'm assuming you have the latest drivers from ATI......but what about the motherboard chipset drivers? Latest VIA 4in1 drivers from click here

The most up to date BIOS I can find for your board is click here which is from 2003 and will predate the new graphics card.

You don't say what monitor you use but does it need drivers too (.inf files and a colour profile)? If it does then update those too.

Have you tried your monitor on a different pc,or a different monitor on your pc to rule out monitor faults?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…