ATI Radeon X800 Platinum Edition graphics card

CurlyWhirly 21:51 01 Jul 04

I have an Athlon XP 3000+ processor along with 1024 Mb (PC 2700) DDR RAM and what I was wondering was should I wait for the ATI Radeon X800 Platinum Edition version which I believe is due for release quite soon?
I was wondering that due to the VERY high performance of this particular graphics card would my XP 3000+ processor stop me from getting the MAXIMUM performance due to 'bottlenecking'?
If so would i be better off going for the 'standard' ATI Radeon X800 Pro instead?

rickimalone 22:12 01 Jul 04

In terms of a bottle neck no as the 3000+ is more than enough for current games out there.

When newer games come out in the future that require high cpu imput then there may be an issue but the card is responsible for all the heavy work and will run like a dream in that setup.

When you can though maybe a getting a cpu that has an FSB 400MHZDDR and get some PC3200 400MHZDDR RAM would go very well with that monster card.

It's going to cost a few quid so I bet you have enough money for a new 3200+ AMD64 with 1MB L2 CACHE and some nice cosair twin gaming modules!!!!

CurlyWhirly 22:26 01 Jul 04

RICKIMALONE - Thanks
I have put off upgrading to AMD 64 for now as there is currently no operating system, drivers or games for it and from what I have read on various forums until 64 bit support is available there is not much of a performance increase - is this right?
I have a Gigabyte GA-7VAXP motherboard which (as you probably know) doesn't 'officially' support the PC3200 memory standard as if what I have read in forums is correct even if you have PC3200 memory installed it defaults to PC2700 speed to run in 'sync' with the CPU's FSB of 333 Mhz?
I have decided to hold back and wait for the Platinum Edition and I know it is expensive but I have nearly £400 saved up especially as my GeForce 4 card is looking a bit long in the tooth now and it is about time I upgraded as I have had my current card for just over 2 years!

carver 22:37 01 Jul 04

If you go and buy one of the new cards you will not see the performance increase you expect with an AMD3000+ CPU. To get the most out of one of these cards it seems that you do need a top end CPU, something like one of the new 64 bit 3700. The CPU can still be a bottleneck for these new cards, if you wait a couple of months then even these cards will come down in price and why buy a card now that there isn't even any games for.

CurlyWhirly 22:43 01 Jul 04

CARVER - The reason why I want a powerful graphics card is when I run games I have to put up with a slow and jerky frame rate.
Besides if I bought the Platinum Edition (from what you said in your e-mail) would I be able to fit it in an AMD 64 motherboard when I upgrade next year?

rickimalone 23:39 01 Jul 04

Yes it is right the current cpu will not get the most out you card "when games come out that start to push it" at the moment it is fine as the current games will only use 50% of its full potential.

In regards to the RAM yes it will run down at 333MHZDDR with your current cpu, I was saying together the extra bus speed would give you more speed.

Get the card !!!! yes it will fit into any board with an AGP X8 slot.

carver 19:45 03 Jul 04

Theres a several reasons why you shouldn't buy that card, first reason you can get a card that will perform nearly as good as that one at less money, second reason/ the CPU you have will not allow the card to give it's full potential, third reason/ in a short while PCI Express will be out resulting in hopefully even faster cards at the same sort of price but with a different motherboard con fig and by that time even this card will be obsolete.

BUT, if you want it, buy it and enjoy it.

CurlyWhirly 20:02 03 Jul 04

CARVER - I have decided to wait for the PCI Express cards to come out but just a quick query?
I used to have a 4 X AGP motherboard and around 18 months ago I upgraded to my present Gigabyte GA-7VAXP which supports the 8 X AGP standard and to be honest I don't notice much difference certainly it isn't twice as fast!
After reading various forums I have discovered that there is only a few % increase in speed compared to 4 X AGP.
In other words it is just hype - do you think that the PCI express standard is all hype as well?

carver 20:24 03 Jul 04

In theory when there is full support for AMD 64 Bit CPU's then with a PCI Express slot it should be a lot faster, but theory is one thing and reality another, we will just have to wait and see.

CurlyWhirly 20:27 03 Jul 04

Cheers CARVER - This thread is now resolved as I have decided to wait for PCI Express cards!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…