ATI Radeon X1600PRO and Dell Dimension Computers

lucasj20 00:36 29 Jul 06

I am posting this as a warning to Dell owners if they are intending on purchasing this graphics card, and hopefully gain some advice on my situaton.

I have recently purchased a HIS ATI Radeon X1600 PRO from click here.

On trying to install it in my Dell Dimension 4550, nothing happens. No boot, no post, nothing.

Then on the ATI website I found this:
Knowledge Base
ATI Customer Care > Solve a Problem > Installation > Hardware >

737-21875: No Post on some Dell models with Radeon X1300 Series and Radeon X1600 Series AGP boards

The information in this article applies to the following configuration(s):
RadeonĀ® X1300 AGP Series
RadeonĀ® X1600 AGP Series
It has been reported that the Radeon X1300 and Radeon X1600 Series AGP boards are not posting in some Dell models.

To resolve this issue, you will need to submit your video card for warranty service. To do so, please complete the Special Warranty Service Request Form.

Now, because my card is not manufactured by ATI, I not not qualify for the 'Special Warranty Service'. I have contacted HIS direct, and have had no reply. However, on the HIS website it states any warranty issues must go direct to the retailer, in this case overclockers.

I contacted Overclockers and the first reply was contact DELL, it's their problem. (I know Dell computers have a bad reputation, esp by computer enthusiasts, but I do not expect this from customer support). The second reply from overclockers, after I enquired about returning my product was a clear NO. 'its your own fault for buying a card which is incompatable with your system'

I do not agree about the incompatability argument. I have checked on the ATI website and if you choose the 'Upgrade your card' wizard thing, the X1600 is listed as an upgrade to my Dell 4550. Also, on the Dell forums, there is a list of graphics cards upgrades and again the X1600 is listed.

ATI have clearly stated that a 'Special Warranty Service' will solve the issue, so therefore the issue is with the card itself, it is faulty.

Now I am stuck with a really good graphics card which I cannot use and which I cannot return to the company I bought it from. Even though it is in perfect, complete and re-saleable condition. All I have done is inserted it into the AGP slot and then taken it out again.

I am frustrated and out of pocket.

SO....

1: Before buying anything over the internet you must do DEEP research into product compatability and issues.

2: Check the returns policy and warranty of the retailer you intend to give your money to VERY carefully. I suggest e-mailing them before you purchase an item to check if you can return it and under what circumstances.

Is there anyone who has had a X1600 'serviced' to work? Or does anyone have any suggestions as to how I could proceed with this?

Thanks

phil46 02:03 29 Jul 06

I have never had a Dell for this reason there best left alone i would say,even there motherboards seem tobe made to Dell specs IE you just can't go out and buy a higher spec MOBO as it would not fit into the case.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5