ATI RADEON update

geedad 10:40 17 Apr 08

I am having some trouble with a couple of recently purchased games.I have looked at the games website and they recommend updating my graphics card, ATI Radeon 9200 with 128 MB DDR SDRAM.
(DRIVER c:\windows\system32\drivers\ati2mtag.sys (6.14.10.6436,685.00 KB (701,440 bytes), 15/11/2003 30:40)
I have downloaded an update from the ATI website, dated 2006, which is obviously later than my present one. However, since this is a major step for me, I am a little nervous about the procedure.The file is still on my desktop waiting to be unzipped, but I would like to be reassured that this is the right thing to do.
Has anyone had a similar experience, and if so, HELP!

Windows Xp Sp2 home. 3 GHz Intel Pentium 4 with HT.
geedad

geedad

Stuartli 10:59 17 Apr 08

The latest ATi Radeon driver and Catalyst software has been released today. See:

click here

However, my preference is to just download the driver from the ATi website:

click here

and, instead of the bloated Catalyst software, use ATi Tray Tools, a fraction of the size yet equally effective. See:

click here

You should also get rid of all previous ATi drivers and software, first via Add/Remove Programs and, to finish off, with Drive Cleaner Pro (freeware) from:

click here

Useful information about ATi graphics cards installation (there's also an nVidia version) can be found at:

click here

geedad 12:22 17 Apr 08

Stuartli
Thanks,Stuartli.
You have made m a lot more confident to update my driver. I have a Sony Pc and I thought that I would have to go through them to update, but they are a bit snail-like!
But what about the file I have already downloaded and is on my desktop awaiting my trembling finger?!

Thanks again.
geedad

Stuartli 12:39 17 Apr 08

Delete it - it's an old one...:-)

By the way, I presume that your comment: "...pdating my graphics card, ATI Radeon 9200 with 128 MB DDR SDRAM" refers to the driver, rather than the card itself?

Stuartli 12:43 17 Apr 08

I've updated my own ATi Radeon card today with the new driver.

When it's installed and booted, you will probably need to reset the display resolution/colour/refresh rate from:

Desktop>right click>Properties>Advanced tab>Adapter tab>List All Modes tab>select the display combination which you require by highlighting it and OK it when Windows asks what you want to do.

The List All Modes, by the way, indicates all the combinations of which your particular card is capable.

geedad 13:21 17 Apr 08

6-11-pre-r300_xp-2k_dd_ccc_wdm_38185

This is the 'Properties' information of the driver file I downloaded yesterday ( from the Ati website as you prefer).
Is it the same as yours or is today's download the one to install?
I have not yet opened the compressed file. And should I create a Restore Point before uninstalling the old driver?
geedad

Stuartli 13:48 17 Apr 08

Today's updated driver is:

8-4_xp32_dd_60999.exe

This is for XP etc; there is a version for Vista, but I presume you don't have Vista based on your system's specifications.

Stuartli 13:50 17 Apr 08

If you just download from a website such as MajorGeeks or FileHippo, you will get both the driver and the Catalyst software.

If you want both, that's fine - I find ATI Tray Tools software equally efficient and a much smaller package.

Stuartli 14:51 17 Apr 08

Another source just for the driver:

click here

geedad 17:03 17 Apr 08

Stuartli
Sorry!
I am utterly confused! The readme file for Driver Cleaner Pro is difficult to understand.
Can you let me know exactly where the file is that you downloaded today, and can you explain how you did it, please?
I have looked at the sites you suggested.
You seem to have a similar setup to mine, and it would be a great help if you can guide me.
I know that I have to uninstall the old driver, I know that I have to disconnect the Internet and also disable my AV software, but if you could take me through it, I would be grateful.
Sorry to be such a thickhead!
geedad

Stuartli 17:58 17 Apr 08

I've never disconnected online or shut down my AV to install a graphics driver...:-)

In the case of Driver Cleaner Pro, just unzip the file to a folder (your Downloads folder?) and run the Setup.

On opening DCP, you can choose which make of previous drivers etc you want to Remove/Clean (i.e. ATi in your case).

Once this is done, install the new ATi driver and Reboot when prompted.

You will probably have to reset, as I suggested earlier, the colour/resolution/refresh rates configuration to your preferences.

Then install ATi Tray Tools and configure, if necessary, as required. The basic driver covers most contingencies and the Tools are for enhancing the features.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…