ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT will not play videos on Vist

hroc 15:40 14 Jan 08

Hi

I am having a problem with my graphics card, an ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT. When I plug it in to my monitor via the DVI cable it will play games like Call of Duty 4 fine but will not play any videos or mp3s in real player, windows media player or any media player at all (Not Responding). However when I disable the graphics card by plugging my monitor in via the VGA rather than DVI socket everything works fine. I spoke to Dell and they said I needed to reinstall Vista but I think it is a problem with the graphics card rather than Vista. Can anyone please help?

Thanks

HRoc

howard64 16:47 14 Jan 08

I wonder if it is the acceleration? right click an empty section of the screen and properties then settings and troubleshooter - you should see a slider for acceleration probably at full - slide this to none and try again.

Stuartli 17:15 14 Jan 08

Try installing the K-Lite audio and codecs pack (Standard suits most users):

click here

or this alternative:

click here

Stuartli 17:16 14 Jan 08

Have you installed the latest ATi graphics driver?

hroc 20:39 14 Jan 08

I installed the k-lite codec pack and now vidoes will play but only with media player classic. Maybe it is a codec issue? Are there otehr codecs which will get realplayer and quicktime working too?

Stuartli 23:14 14 Jan 08

If you download the Mega version of the K-Lite Packs it will include Real Alternative (IIRC).

QuickTime Alternative can be downloaded from:

click here

Both are very much smaller than the original offerings.

Do you use Windows Media Player? If so, ensure that all File Types are Enabled from Tools>File Types.

hroc 13:30 15 Jan 08

Thanks guys but i have tried all these and no luck, think i is a vista problem. Unfortunatluy I think i am going to have to reinstall it. Thanks for your help anyway.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

Disney layout supervisor Rob Dressel on the challenges of visualising Moana

Siri vs Google Assistant