Ati Radeon 9800 non-pro

I am a newbie to this forum and had a question that was troubling me.

It seems that there is a non-pro version of the Ati Radeon 9800 (128mb), but there is no mention of the chipset on this site, or any others for that. My question is whether the 9800 non-pro is good enough compared to the pro version of the 9800 and 9700. Also is it worth saving the extra money while buying the non-pro version of the card?

citadel 18:05 02 Jul 03

In reviews i have read the advice is to go for the pro versions of all the various cards.

Yea, I know that each of the pro versions are more powerful than the non-pros, but the non-pro of the 9800 is more than £100 cheaper from where I am getting it. In this context, do you think it is worth it?

Ironman556 19:48 02 Jul 03

If you don't want to pay for the 9800Pro, have a look at the 9700Pro's instead, I think they're getting harder to find though. The non-pro's are less powerful cards. Generally for gamers or anywhere where high performance graphics are needed the Pro version is the only way to go.

Ironman556 19:49 02 Jul 03

Have you looked at click here? I've just bought a Radeon 9600Pro from them, very speedy delivery :-)

Thanx for all your feedback guys, but the fact is I am getting this card pre installed in the new machine i intend to buy. If I have this installed instead of the pro version, I can save more than a 100 pounds. 9700 pro is available, but in the all-in-wonder version which is more expensive than the 9800 pro. Also the geforce fx5600 ultra(256mb) is available for 75 pounds less. Do you think that would be a better option?

Although the pro cards are more powerfull, I have a standard 9700 card and I am able to run games at 1200x1600 with 32 bit colour and detail settings at their highest without any slow down so the standard 9800 will probably be fine.

Others may have a different opinion. of course.

Thanx James. That was extremely helpful. Any other opinions on the pro vs non-pro?

bump

BeForU 23:45 02 Jul 03

the non-pro versions of the Radeon cards are exactly the same as the PRO versions, except they just got lower clock speeds and thats it! if your an overclocker you can simply clock the non-pro to speeds of the PRO version, provinding you wanna risk it and have alot of extra cooling! besides the 9800 non-pro is more powerful than the 9700 PRO! and if it is going to be pre-installed like you said before, i'd go for it! advantages of non-pros are they are ALOT cheaper though just and i mean just a little bit slower than the PRO versions! hope this helps!

Yep this does help. KInfact, it has resolved this issue for me. Thanx to everyone who posted here!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Fresh New Fonts of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced