ati or nvidea advice on a new card

minge 08:57 13 Jul 05

i am looking to buy a new graphics card but am unsure which way to go please help.

i have a athlon64 3200 on an asus kn8-e deluxe motherboard with an nforce chipset with a 500w power supply.

It is agp and i did not want to change the motherboard quite with 200-250max where do i go.

dagwoood 10:49 13 Jul 05

minge, as you have a motherboard with an Nvidia chipset, my advice would be to go with an Nvidia graphics card.

From what I've read on the Nvidia forums( click here ), some people have problems getting ATI cards to perform to their best when installed in a system with an Nforce chipset. Also you should find an Nvidia graphics card will perform(slightly)better when used with an Nvidia motherboard.

If you go for an Nvidia card, for the amount you're willing to spend, a 6800GT would be your best bet and can be had for around the 200 quid mark, depending on which brand you go for.

Here's a couple click here and click here . The XFX card's a really good price when you factor in you get a copy of Doom 3 with it.

HTH, dagwoood.

Stuartli 11:41 13 Jul 05

Although my son uses a top level ATI card, my sole experience with the brand quickly had me scuttling back to the tried and tested nVidia forumula, especially as the drivers are always backwards compatible...:-)

Some excellent advice on configuring nVidia cards, including use with RivaTuner, at:

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Switch price…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…