ATI Graphics card - again!

guesswho2 11:56 02 Feb 09

I have just read the post by AudioChip and the replies.
I would appreciate if I could call upon Stuartli to come in and explain exactly what I need to download on the website he gives.
I'm an old guy who's been trying, literally for months, to update my Radeon 9550. I have tried to follow the instructions on the ATI site and I have periodically tried different methods, but every time I obviously bodge it and finish up either with a crash or a hopeless display. At various times other forum members have kindly offered assistance but I still have not managed it.
Stuartli, I have again downloaded the latest driver file and it's sitting on my desktop. There are so many downloads available on the Softpedia Tray Tools site that I don't know which one to click on. I would be so appreciative if you would take the trouble to show me how to proceed.

Marko797 12:14 02 Feb 09

go to this link click here, and select operating system (XP or Vista), then Radeon, then scroll down to your card. Select whichever option; just driver or the complete catalyst suite which includes the driver. Download then run...well that's how I do it anyway and it works everytime. Come back if there are any problems.

guesswho2 12:21 02 Feb 09

Hi Marko.
Yes I've got Display Driver (not the Catalyst suite) file on the desktop. But exactly how do you proceed? Ati site says to uninstall all ati files before proceeding. Is that what I should do?
I really have been there before but I must making a pig of something.

Marko797 12:25 02 Feb 09

well, as I said, I have never had to uninstall previous drivers. I just download, as described, then click 'run' (rather than save to anywhere) when it arrives. It does it all itself. It does then require a restart, and then it goes thru a test procedure which makes the desktop flicker, and then that's it. I don't understand what the problem is really. Can't u try it the way I do it, and see what happens?

guesswho2 12:31 02 Feb 09

Well Marko I'm amazed that you make it sound so simple. Later this afternoon I will make a restore point and try just as you say. But I've really had so many disasters - - - . I'll let you know later how I get on.

Marko797 12:34 02 Feb 09

all I can say is that this is the way I do driver updates, and offering it as a *possible* way out of your dilemma. I'm on XP & in truth have never had the problems which you mention. Good luck and let us know how u get on.

provider 2 12:39 02 Feb 09

A wild guess, I`m afraid but have you checked your .NET Framework is not missing a service pack?

I`m told ATi cards use it.

Stuartli 13:07 02 Feb 09

You have to download the ATi driver separately on the ATi website (it's just over 15MB); the link is just underneath the full Catalyst download which includes the driver as well.

Have you read the TweakGuide from the link I gave you. It details Drive Cleaner Pro and how you can get rid of all earlier ATi drivers etc by using it.

You then install the ATi driver and, if you wish, the ATi Tray Tools.

click here

Click on the Download button with the arrow on it.

Stuartli 13:08 02 Feb 09

When I acquire the latest ATi driver, I just install it over the earlier version.

guesswho2 13:12 02 Feb 09

mmmmm OK Marko, I've done exactly as you said. When it did the automatic restart at the end of the process, the mouse wouldn't move the cursor and I couldn't activate the Start button so I had just to switch off - which is what's happened before. However, this time I rebooted and lo and behold I had a working computer again! Device Manager showed the ATI driver now to be version 8.573.0.0 compared to 8.421.0.0 (Stuartli says the latest one should be 9.1 I think). BUT, as in previous attempts, the thing is impossibly slow with each screen refresh precede by a wiping curtain effect fro top to bottom - as in a powerpoint presentation.
I don't think I can live with that.
Yes, Provider2 I've the latest NET Framework stuff.
No, I can't live with this dreadful dislay - this exactly what's happened before.
I'll have to go back to restore point.

LinH 13:15 02 Feb 09

As Marko797 says, just download the driver and Catalyst suite and click Run instead of Save, it will do it all for you then.

I've had no trouble updating my 9550 in this way in the past.

LiH

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Animator Emanuele Kabu’s psychedelic video is a stunning tribute to Lisbon city

Best Mac antivirus 2017