Athlon XP CPUs Price going down?

aca 07:06 13 Mar 05

Looking to upgrade to XP 3000+. Best price I have found is £80. With the new Sempron/64 CPUs am I best hanging on for prices to drop further?

FelixTCat 08:52 13 Mar 05

Prices will be lower next week; but don't buy, because prices will be lower the week after; but don't buy because . . . .

It is the nature of computers (and just about all electronics) that prices fall quite quickly. If you wait, everything will be cheaper. Manufacturers identify price points, e.g. £999 for computers and build systems to that price - you just get more and more for your money.

Soon, the processor you want will be, say, £70 and a slightly faster one will be £80. Which will you buy? Only you can decide.

Accept that anything you buy will be cheaper the week after you bought it and that you could have got something better for the price you paid. Just enjoy what you did get. Next time you upgrade, what you get for the money will blow your mind.

goonerbill © ® 10:44 13 Mar 05

as FelixTCat said, prices always drop. if you wish to upgrade, that choice is yours but really it would be best to look for something in the athlon64 range (939pin) and new mobo, forget all athlons in the 754pin range as AMD have/will stop making these soon as they have with the XP series of CPU's.

leo49 11:09 13 Mar 05

The XP chips are an endangered species and disappearing fast and prices are lower than they've ever been as stocks are cleared.

XP3200 still available here:

click here

for £85 - I bought one from there a couple of months ago. Add an MSI K7n2 Delta2 Nforce2 mobo[now down to half it's original price] and a gig of ram and you've got the heart of a cracking PC.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac