ATHLON conumdrum

weyland 15:15 30 Apr 03

hi guys (or girls). im would like to change my athlon 1.2 to something better but my asus manual states that 1.2 its the maximum it can take. can it be done or do i need a whole different motherboard. i have a asus a7v-e mother!! in a mesh pc. thanks!

Elrond 15:19 30 Apr 03

Check their website to see if theres a BIOS upgrade which may support a better processer.

rickf 15:20 30 Apr 03

Find out if you can overclock this m/b from theor website and to what capacity. My own prefernce is to upgrade the m/b.

tbh72 17:57 30 Apr 03

I upgraded from a duron 850 to an athlon XP2000+, this did require a bios upgrade as my PC Chips MB only supported 1.2Ghz processors.

It was a nervy experience, but it actually went effortlessly. I would certainly upgrade my bios in the future if the need arose.

Rayuk 18:09 30 Apr 03

Just had a look at Asus website and for this board a7ve 1400 cpu is maximum [200MHz fsb]

Rayuk 18:09 30 Apr 03

Sorry here is the link click here

blanco 18:29 30 Apr 03

I think your problem is going to be that you will only be able to make a small jump in performance with the 200MHz FSB.
I had the same problem and had to get a new mobo to support 266MHz and now it looks as if the next jump will also need a new mobo to support 333MHz and a Barton core.
Best of luck

woodchip 18:34 30 Apr 03

It's not worth it get a new board if it will fit the case

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…