Athlon 64 or P4?

blulightning747 14:36 16 Oct 04

Hey,
I'll soon be purchasing a laptop and i have the choice between the Athlon 64 and the Pentium 4 (3.0+) chips. The laptop will be used for games and the net. Could anyone advise on which is the best? I don't really have much knowledge on the Athlon chips. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

PS. Is there any site to compare laptops? Except from PC Advisor of course. I'm looking at Tiny, Acer, AJP and i don't know who to pick.

Thanks again,
G

citadel 18:48 16 Oct 04

If you want a laptop for games Alienware is the best, if you can not afford one look at the specs to gage what you should be looking for.

alnwrd 19:24 16 Oct 04

there is an issue with some athlon 64 chips not supporting xp service pack2. See this month's PC Advisor magazine. We tried updating a laptop with amd 64 chip and it would not boot afterwards. We had to restore to service pack1

blulightning747 19:27 16 Oct 04

Citadel: Thanks for that site, very smart laptops, however my budget is £1000 lol.
Alnward: Thanks for that tip, i'll just go Intel then, never noticed that in this months PCA. Oh well lol.
Thanks a lot,
G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…