Athlon 64 3700+ windows XP64 ?????

Koochy 11:48 24 Feb 06

I believe there is a windows platform out now for 64 bit cpu first question can i use this platform with my pc.

Athlon 64 3700+, 1GB ram, ATI mobility radeon 9700 Graphics card Windows xp svc pack 2

And second question is will it make any difference to my pc (is it worth it?)

sil_ver 12:26 24 Feb 06

Answer to your first Q Yes your PC will run XP64, I've run it with a Sempron 2800 (Socket 754) The big question is though, how much of your Hardware supports 64bit windows. For instance, there is no driver for my modem and the Mfr tells me there is not going to be so that would mean me buying a new PCI, or whatever non USB modem that does support it. Presumably XP64 will run faster than 32bit but that's just the O/S. I believe graphics and the internet will not. There is not a lot of 64bit software available at present as far as I know.

SG Atlantis® 13:03 24 Feb 06

sil_ver is correct and 64 bit will hit the big time when Vista is released.

Wait til then before upgrading fully to 64 bit.

Koochy 14:37 25 Feb 06

Thanks for the response guys looks like i will just have to wait till Vista is launched to spend some money

PhiltheFragger 16:45 25 Feb 06

in my Microsoft experience, even when Vista is released,it will still have teething troubles, it will be several months before there is wide software support,and there will be certain common programs in use now that wont work properly, until patches are released.

I am going to wait a full 6 months after release before going anywhere near the Vista route

Besides, My Athlon 64 dual core 4400 2gb Ram ,etc does exactly what I want when I want it to.

How fast does it need to get before we dont notice a difference.

Zeppelyn 18:27 25 Feb 06

Koochy,

If you want to try it now then there is an 180 trial available from Microsoft. Try this link

click here

Koochy 18:15 02 Mar 06

I tried the trial version with no luck the drivers for my drive had to be updated (no biggy) but my graphics card worked to a fashion - it would not let me go any higher than 640 x 480 tried update the driver but no joy so it looks like a new pc when the time arrives.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…