ATAPI Compatible DVD/CD ROM Drives

Allan RISC OS user 21:40 02 Jun 10

I am looking for a Computer with an Intel i5 processor and Windows 7 home 64bit.
My problem is that I have asked HP which of their machines come with a ATAPI Compatible DVD/CD ROM Drive, but they have replied that ATAPI is out-dated and all their machines come with SATA/SCSI drives, which appears to be borne out by the Device Manager. I need ATAPI to be able to run a program which I have, or it will not run with a file which checks to see if the drive is compatible but will run with that file removed but it then defeats one of the purposes of the program!
Any thoughts please.

MAT ALAN 22:25 02 Jun 10

it will not run with a file which checks to see if the drive is compatible

compatable "with what"

Allan RISC OS user 10:19 03 Jun 10

Hi Mat Alan

Not too clear is it...

The file within the program is one that looks at the DVD/CD ROM hardware to determine if the hardware is ATAPI Compliant/compatible and if it is not then the program will not continue.

mgmcc 11:42 03 Jun 10

One possible solution might be to get an external 5.25" USB enclosure and install a standard IDE CD/DVD drive in it. click here

This is the arrangement I use to provide my Windows 7 Netbook with a DVD RW drive.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…