Atapi cd-rw dosn't recognise any disk

ray27 08:47 27 Oct 05

I have an Atapi CD-RW 52XMAX 160D drive (D Drive) on my system and it has decided to misbehave.
I also have a Freecom DVD+/RW 16B9 2.46 (E Drive) and this works fine
The Atapi drive does not recognise any disc I put into it
I have made sure everything is ok in properties such as auto play etc.

The door opens ok and I have checked in device manager and that the driver is ok .
It informs me that the device is working properly

What I would like to know is is there anything else I could try, have I missed something?
Any advice would be most welcome

jack 08:58 27 Oct 05

If this is a much used drive- it could be the laser lens needs a clean.
Get hold a CD player cleaner kit-comprises of a CD with a small brush inserted on the play side and a bottle of fluid - about a fiver from the likes of ASDA.
If this does not do the job - it is very likely the laser is burned out and replacement is the only remedy

ray27 12:45 27 Oct 05

I have tried the cd cleaner
It was palying up so I tried a disk cleaner and thats when it stopped altogether now it wont even recognise the cleaning disk
The cleaning cd that I have has to be inserted and you have to run it via media player and when the music has stoped it has done its job but as I said its a catch 22 situation Iwould like to try and clean it again but the drive keeps thinking that there isnt a disk in the drive

jack 19:42 27 Oct 05

The disk cleaner you mentioned is what I meant
If the drive spins, and the data cable is up tight both ends , then it is very like time for the bin.

ray27 18:38 28 Oct 05

Cheers Jack I took your advice and binned it and popped down PC World and got a Sony DVD RW as this writes a CD at 48x and they were offering it about £25.00 more than a CD RW which seemed a sensible think to do and its now working fine
thanks for your advice
Regards Ray

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…