Atapi cd-rw dosn't recognise any disk

ray27 08:47 27 Oct 05

I have an Atapi CD-RW 52XMAX 160D drive (D Drive) on my system and it has decided to misbehave.
I also have a Freecom DVD+/RW 16B9 2.46 (E Drive) and this works fine
The Atapi drive does not recognise any disc I put into it
I have made sure everything is ok in properties such as auto play etc.

The door opens ok and I have checked in device manager and that the driver is ok .
It informs me that the device is working properly

What I would like to know is is there anything else I could try, have I missed something?
Any advice would be most welcome

jack 08:58 27 Oct 05

If this is a much used drive- it could be the laser lens needs a clean.
Get hold a CD player cleaner kit-comprises of a CD with a small brush inserted on the play side and a bottle of fluid - about a fiver from the likes of ASDA.
If this does not do the job - it is very likely the laser is burned out and replacement is the only remedy

ray27 12:45 27 Oct 05

I have tried the cd cleaner
It was palying up so I tried a disk cleaner and thats when it stopped altogether now it wont even recognise the cleaning disk
The cleaning cd that I have has to be inserted and you have to run it via media player and when the music has stoped it has done its job but as I said its a catch 22 situation Iwould like to try and clean it again but the drive keeps thinking that there isnt a disk in the drive

jack 19:42 27 Oct 05

The disk cleaner you mentioned is what I meant
If the drive spins, and the data cable is up tight both ends , then it is very like time for the bin.

ray27 18:38 28 Oct 05

Cheers Jack I took your advice and binned it and popped down PC World and got a Sony DVD RW as this writes a CD at 48x and they were offering it about £25.00 more than a CD RW which seemed a sensible think to do and its now working fine
thanks for your advice
Regards Ray

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac