ATA133 Hard Disk

jules1315 09:49 06 Sep 03

I am trying to run an ATA133 40gb hard disk on my old Pentium II 350mhz system which I think is either ATA33 OR 66. I connected the hard disk and went into the bios and ran the hard disk auto detect but it didnt seem to recognise it. should I be able to run this hard disk on my old system and why isnt it recognising it?

seedie 10:15 06 Sep 03

It may be your BIOS is programmed to accept a HD as large as 40G. Mine isn't and had to put parameters in by hand. If you like life on the edge you could flash an update to your BIOS. I haven't yet.

seedie 10:17 06 Sep 03

That should be NOT programmed

Paroxetine 10:22 06 Sep 03

Flashing bios isnt that hard to do, and seedie could be right in that respect in that you need to update it before the hdd will be seen. You could use a boot up tool from the manufact website which will do something similar all but less scary and with less risk to the BIOS.

Hope this is of some use.

P

xania 16:54 06 Sep 03

Most HD manufacturers have a tool on their web site for managing larger HDs. DOwnload this and install on your new HD and try again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…