ATA133 Cable Detection

Erco 20:52 27 Feb 03

Just built a new Rig with 2 new hard drives fitted. To make it tidy I shoirtened the ribbon cables, cutting off the surplus, close to plug with correct tool. I lobbed off the long bit, that end which would normally have plugged into the MB Raid sockets. It should now boot into the RAID configuration, but does'nt. How does system know when IDE 40 Cable with 80 wires are connected?

jazzypop 22:25 27 Feb 03

See click here and click here

I suspect that you have either a bad connection of the pug to cable, or have nicked the insulation between two conductors, or your problem lies elesewhere (e.g. BIOS setup, RAID drivers not provided if setting up XP).

jazzypop 22:25 27 Feb 03

Try 'plug' instead of 'pug' :)

Erco 23:26 27 Feb 03

Thanks Jaz, PC Guide had the answer. I've got to get 2 new cables, so others be warned dont shorten them. Now to find a source for new ones. I've ordered a couple of round ones but so far no ribbon. I'm in UK.

froggg 23:42 27 Feb 03

E-Buyer,cheap as chips-different lengths

DieSse 23:53 27 Feb 03

The problem you caused when you lopped off the long bit, it that in this section is one wire which is not connected - it sometimes has a visible section cut out of it. It's this broken connection that identifies the cable as 80 wire to the motherboard.

DieSse 23:58 27 Feb 03

PS - of course this means that if you lop off the short end, you will not get the problem.

Erco 00:52 01 Mar 03

The extra 40 wires may be odd or even numbers and are grounded to reduce adjacent wire interference. Pin 34 of the (blue) connector is Grounded in the plug which goes to the Motherboard, thus allowing the bios to check that the special cable is fitted (mandatory in some RAID installations. These cables are backwards compatible. I managed to buy these cables locally, yellow ribbon. The originals were also yellow?. I've lobbed off the short end previously and did,nt notice a problem, but that was ATA100.

DieSse 09:10 01 Mar 03

The colour's not important - and there is no difference between ATA100 and ATA133 as far as the cable's concerned. As you saw, taking off the short end is not significant - it's taking off the long end that makes the difference.

DieSse 09:11 01 Mar 03

The colour's not important - and there is no difference between ATA100 and ATA133 as far as the cable's concerned. As you saw, taking off the short end is not significant - it's taking off the long end that makes the difference.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…