Ollyolly 14:09 30 Jan 04

I am looking to build my son a new PC. His present Gateway is 8 years old. If I select a motherboard and hard drive that both support an IDE interface of ATA133 will I need a new connecting cable or can I reuse his existing ribbon cable? I’m trying to save him spending too much of his paper round money!

  Gongoozler 14:31 30 Jan 04

You can use the old cable. You only need to use a new cable if you want to get the full speed performance from the ATA133 drive, but your 8 year old Gateway won't support that anyway. The hard drive will work at the speed determined by the motherboard.

  Gongoozler 14:33 30 Jan 04

I forgot to say that the Gateway will also have problems recognising a large hard drive, so you may need a PCI to IDE interface card.

  Gongoozler 14:41 30 Jan 04

Sorry, I failed to read your posting properly. Yor new motherboard will almost certainly be supplied with an 80-way cable suitable for ATA133. I recently rebuilt a computer with an ASUS A7V8X-X. This came with an 80-way cable, and was very easy to set up click here.

I have also been pleased with the results from the Syntax (PC Chips) KT266 at only £22.32 inc VAT, although some people have had problems with them.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How VR is being used to simulate space

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now