ATA-6 and ATA 100/133..What's the difference.

malwarehater 23:12 04 Aug 05

Hi.

I am i dire need of some help here.
I have just bought two Hitachi 180gb hard drives.....Now let me get to my problem :-(

I think i have dropped a MAJOR bollock.......My current hard drives are 120gb Maxtor Diamond Max Plus9 (ATA 100/133) hard drives( Model No 6Y120P0)... each has an IDE Interface.

The two hard drives i just bought are "Hitachi Deskstar 180 GXP" which seem to have an IDE Interface but when i try to boot them up nothing happens.

I have looked into the "interface" side of these HD'S and according to their spec's they are listed as ATA-6 interface......whats the difference?

Will i be able to use these HD's at all?

Will i need to buy a controller card or something to convert from ATA 100/133 to ATA-6?

I would really really appreciate some help on this..

Thanks In Advance
MH

DieSse 00:29 05 Aug 05

ATA6 is a new interface specification designed for drives over 137Gb. I don't beleive this is your problem as such.

What you probably have is a BIOS that doesn't support drives of over 137Gb. You should read this for a general explanation click here

Hitachi appears to no longer supply a software solution for this issue.

User-312386 08:44 05 Aug 05

Attach one of them to your IDE with your current Disc

Boot the computer

Now right click "My Computer" Select manage

Now Click on Disc Management>Right click on new drive and select Format

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…