ASUS Vintage V3 Barebones Case Question

jonargent 23:28 30 Sep 08

Hi,

I've just got hold of a ASUS barebones system, and the case is the "Asus Vintage V3 Barebones". It has space inside for 3 3.5" bays, but was wondering if anyone had one, and knew how to expand the case? It looks like there may be a way to add an extra caddy underneath, but i'm not sure...

I am Spartacus 23:51 30 Sep 08

How many disks do you want to add? If it's just the one then you could suspend it underneath the drive cage with elastic. If it's more than that then you could use some aluminium strips to make a mounting system that bolts to each side of the upper cage.

You may be limited by the number of IDE/SATA ports on the motherboard.

jonargent 23:58 30 Sep 08

I currently have 3 drives and a card reader, and ports are not going to be a problem, it has the usual 2x IDE, and 4 SATA ports... My current motherboard has 1x IDE and 2 SATAs, but the current case (Gateway BTX system) has 4 3.5 bays in total...

ambra4 04:10 01 Oct 08

If you have a floppy drive installed and not using it, you can remove it and install the third drive in

that space

In the Bios just Disable the floppy drive / None

woodchip 10:02 01 Oct 08

How Much Vintage=OLD

Is it a ATX case? This one click here(16000)Asus-Vintage-V3P5945G-Barebone-Core-2-Duo.aspx

You can normally Hang a drive under the bottom of the bay holder but its easy to make your own to fit in the bottom if there is space of extra drives. With a Bit of Ally from B&Q

jonargent 18:23 01 Oct 08

Woodchip: That was the case, yes. Is there a guide or something that would tell me how to make that, as I am useless at DIY...

I am Spartacus 18:52 01 Oct 08

I'll pretend I'm Woodchip shall I? See my invisible post of Tue, [email protected]:51

Get a strip of aluminium approximately 2cm wide and about 1 metre long and 2-3mm thick (Homebase £2).

Cut 4 equal lengths of which you will screw 2 equal lengths to each side of the existing drive bay and long enough to touch the base of the case.

They don't have to be screwed to the base as it will be supported OK. You could cut the lengths a little longer and bend a bit at the bottom to right angles and either rest on the base or drill and bolt.

Fix 2 aluminium strips to each side of the existing drive bay using the drive screw holes, they'll need to be a bit longer screws to hold the strips and the drives. It's better to use at least 2 mountings for each strip. Obviously you'll need to drill holes at the appropriate positions to hold the new disks. Spend about an hour with brasso or similar and you can get a mirror finish on the aluminium strips.

Alternatively visit your local PC shop and blag an old case that has a drive bay roughly the size you want and drill the rivets out and bolt that to the bottom of your case.

You may, as in my case, waste a bit of aluminium getting it right.

jonargent 22:13 01 Oct 08

Thanks Spartacus,

I did read your post, but got interupted halfway through reading it, I shall give it a go this weekend!

woodchip 22:21 01 Oct 08

If you visit your local Dump Site you should be able to get an old bay out of a computer

jonargent 23:28 01 Oct 08

I'll give that a go if my DIY is still appalling... Not sure if they'll let me take anything at my local tip...

the hick 11:13 01 Mar 09

When hard-drives were only about 6 Gb each, I put two together, 'Meccano' strips were the solution, useful half-inch hole pitch as well!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…