Asus Rampage 2 ROG in a thermaltake lanbox with i7

Danny Barnard 11:59 10 Jun 09

Hi I'm looking to buy a new system that is small but very powerful. I want to put an asus Rampage 2 ROG with an i7 in a thermaltake lanbox. I am very worried however about cooling. I've been looking all over the web to try and find an answer. Has anyone tried it before? Or made a similar build with another case? I would rather find this out than find out for myself...

Thx Dan

Danny Barnard 12:41 10 Jun 09

I've read online a test someone has done with this configuration and my fears are right I think. It said on idle the processor was at high 50's low 60's degrees and on their heavy load test it went to 100 degrees! It said the processor may cope at these temperature but to be honest I don't want something hot enough that I could fry eggs on it in my room! Portability is very important for me so I think I'm gonna move away from the i7, I really don't want water cooling as well as that could be a solution as they are expensive and I imagine easy to get wrong. The processor I was considering before was the intel quad 8200. Would it be possible to cool a Quad 8200 in a thermaltake Lanbox with the right motherboard?

I am Spartacus 12:56 10 Jun 09

The coolest Quad Core I've used is the Q9650, it's expensive but compared to your initial thoughts regarding an i7 920 not that bad.

In a large case and admittedly with one of the better air coolers (TRUE) it was hitting 20ºC under load over the ambient temperature and idling at around 8ºC above ambient at stock speeds. You won't get near those temperatures with a low height cooler but it gives you an idea. Good airflow is important though.

The Q9650s do seem to overclock well and mine runs at 4GHz with a maximum temperature of 35ºC above ambient on air cooling with a good airflow case.

Under a slightly over the top water cooling system it hits 26ºC above ambient at maximum load (running Prime95 and 3DMark06 at the same time for a few hours) with fairly quiet 17dB fans.

I am Spartacus 13:55 10 Jun 09

Just been thinking! Have you considered Core 2 Duo CPU's instead (E8400, 8500, 8600), they run a fair bit cooler than a Quad with air cooling and might cope better with a low height heatsink.

I need to correct the temperature of 8ºC for idle at stock speeds, it's 11ºC with air cooling.

Danny Barnard 08:08 11 Jun 09

Thats cool I've been reading about the core 2 Duo's, I think apparently the quad core range may have slightly better performance, is this difference slight or would it be very noticeable? And how much cooler do they run? I'm just guessing here but I guess the quad has 4 processors while the duo has 2? Does this decrease multi-tasking potential? Thanks Spartacus you've been a big help so far. Also do you know of a recommened motherboard it will need to be socket 775 to support this range of processors or is the core duo a different socket? I'm reading now it seems to run at higher speeds which sounds cool. With all these things though I find the amount of 'extra performance' you get varies with price quite a lot. I mean in terms how much better performance would I expect between the E8400 and E8600. The difference is around £70 I would be willing to pay that much if the difference was noticable but I always find with higher models you normally end up paying a lot more for very little extra..

Danny Barnard 08:34 11 Jun 09

Also I'm trying to find if the core duo range supports DDR3 memory. Or is Ram combatability only an issue with the motherboard or does it depend on what processor you have as well? Also I've been reading reviews of over-clockers having heating issues... I don't really have an interest in overclocking I just want a good solid system at stock speeds. Trying to work out though if these heating issues are in effect at just normal stock speeds.

I am Spartacus 09:03 11 Jun 09

I don't know much about micro-ATX motherboards and I tend to look only at those that will overclock. The DFI Lanparty JRP45-T2RS will overclock the FSB to around 450MHz. With something like an E8400 you will get extra heat but nowhere near as much as from a Quad. In many cases you can increase the speed somewhat without an increase in the voltage (vcore) going through the CPU, although this will in itself increase the heat output slightly.

The Q9650 benefited from a revised stepping and runs noticeably cooler than a Q9450 and QX9650. Bear in mind my overclocked Q9650 is faster in most applications than a Core i7920 running on stock settings.

The only application I notice a difference in speed though is video editing with Adobe Premiere Elements which uses all 4 cores.

A surprising amount of heat builds up in a case with poor airflow e.g. if I turn off the intake and exhaust fans on my fairly large case the CPU temp increases by around 10ºC quite quickly, as does the motherboard and GFX card temperatures.

Danny Barnard 09:10 11 Jun 09

Sorry to keep hounding you but I'm confused about sorting this air flow. People are talking about reverse mounting the PSU in the computer. Am I right in thinking the tactic is to get air to flow into the case from the PSU. They normally have a big fan on either the top or bottom. I'm confused with this heating problem because does it blow air or suck it? I would of thought it would suck air and then spew it out the back. Have you got any good advice for air flow?

Danny Barnard 09:18 11 Jun 09

Oh I think I get it now so The PSU fan acts as the heat dispenser. So am I right in thinking what happens is as your processor warms up heat is remover via air flow from the fan mounted on the heatsink. So the fan on the heatsink blows air as it is removing heat from the heatsink and then the hot air is sucked into the PSU and spewed out the back. Pls correct me if I have thought about this very wrong.. So in this case for the thermaltake I will need my front fan as the intake and the 2 60mm fans at the back as the exahusts with the PSu sucking air in and the heatsink fan blowing it out from the heat sink

I am Spartacus 09:26 11 Jun 09

'So in this case for the thermaltake I will need my front fan as the intake and the 2 60mm fans at the back as the exahusts with the PSu sucking air in and the heatsink fan blowing it out from the heat sink'

That's about it, an intake fan at the front to suck in cool air into the case(and ideally blow it over the hard drive) and exhaust fan to blow it out of the case. The CPU fan ideally should blow air towards the exhaust fan but can also be oriented to blow it through the PSU intake grill.

You can get a little extra cool air in the case by removing the external case covers from the PCI slots although in my experience this has been negligible although it may make more of a difference with a small case.

Danny Barnard 09:40 11 Jun 09

Thanks for the quick reply, I've read quite a bit of people reporting in region of 60 degrees on load in this case with the processor but I think people have said they have got it down considerably with better heat sinks and air flow to around 50ish when running the very high load test and I think these were o/ced. I'm just wondering what a comfortable temperature is? I like the sound of these core 2 duos, with their much cooler running speeds. Would you recommend the E8600 over the E8400 taking into account it's extra cost. Also I've heard the E8400 has had temperature issues in terms of reading temperature not the temperature itself. Reportedly they read no change on their processors temperature on idle and on load so there was a failure with the sensor or something. I'm trying to find if this problem is fixed on the E8600 but can't find it.. Thx a bunch

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…