Asus P4P800 and memory headache

mtall 23:40 28 Jun 04

Although the motherboard according to the spec, support up to 4Gb od DDR. my cousin's system has refused to take even 1.5Gb DDR. I have installed 512Mb x2 and with that it works fine but if I add on another 512mb to make it 1.5Gb the system crashes and you get a blue screen. The Memory is of the same make. I can't find any help on this topic on Asus web site. Can any one help? Please.

Thanks
Mtall

hugh-265156 23:53 28 Jun 04

does each stick on its own work ok? and does the computer boot into windows ok even in safe mode and then crash or restart later or does it not boot at all? what error is displayed when it crashes? what operating system.

im guessing xp. if so and windows starts then to to get a useful error displayed click: 'start/control panel/system/advanced/start up and recovery/settings' untick 'automatically restart' then when it crashes note down the error displayed and look it up via the 'search (Kb)' box click here maybe

mobo specs click here

mtall 22:03 29 Jun 04

Dear Huggyg71 Thank you for all your help. Yes with 1.5Gb it does sometimes work for a while and then crash. You were right we are using Windows XP. I shall try to write down the error message so I can look it up as you advised. Otherwise it is driving us mad. Any further hel/advise will be appriciated

Mtall

gudgulf 22:21 29 Jun 04

Follow huggyg71s' advice and run each stick of memory on its own--at the very least run the new stick by itself.

Try using memtest click here if you can get the pc running for long enough.This should identify if the memory stick is faulty.

One other thing you can try is disabling the fast boot facility in the bios---this will make the pc run through the full list of checks before it boots windows.Maybe that will reveal the problem.

mosfet 22:27 29 Jun 04

Do not the sticks have to be in pairs??

gudgulf 22:43 29 Jun 04

The memory sticks need to be in matched pairs in order to function as dual channel.You can use three sticks in single channel mode on this board.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…