Asus motherboard query

Smithick 17:07 21 Aug 03

Hi,
I have recently purchased an 'ASUS A7N266-VM' motherboard and now found out it is quite select over which hard drives can function with it.

Does anyone know of any hard drives (20Gb+) that this motherboard can operate effectively with.

Thanks in advance

Rayuk 18:22 21 Aug 03

You shouldnt have any problems using drives with this motherboard its not that old.
What is the problem exactly.

Smithick 18:37 21 Aug 03

Thanks for answering

The main problem is the cost of the motherboard has left me with a little room for expansion. I can have two drives on the thicker IDE cable though this leaves me with less power cables for optical drives.

I am hesitant against buying a new Power Supply Unit, one with more power cables for drives as I have heard that this motherboard is choosie over what is used with it.
Can you please advise.

Rayuk 18:47 21 Aug 03

You can buy splitter power cables for a couple of pounds.An example as below.PCWorld should have them or if you are lucky enough to have a local pc shop.
51/4 to 51/4 to 51/4 power splitter
click here

Rayuk 18:51 21 Aug 03

Where did you get the idea about this board being picky with certain hard drives?

Smithick 16:59 22 Aug 03

A family member, helping me to construct a PC, brought home a document that consisted of printouts of a discussion involving this motherboard.
We had the same problem as these other people.

Though the PC is sorted now. I would still like to upgrade the hard drive and bring in a dvd-rom drive. Thanks for the tips.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…