ASUS laptop suddenly cut out.

EdwinOwen 01:49 07 Feb 15

I have a ASUS X550C laptop which I bought new around a year ago. It has a Intel IVY BRIDGE DUAL - CORE ULV 1.5GHz processor with integrated HD graphics, 6GB RAM and is running Windows 8.1.

I have regularly been using this laptop for gaming and it runs The Sims 3,The Sims 4, Simcity 2013, Euro Truck Simulator 2 and a few others quite well considering the specs it has. A couple days ago I downloaded and installed Farming Simulator 2015 and it has been running just as good as every other game.

I have just been playing Farming Simulator and after an hour or two of gameplay the laptop suddenly cut out. The screen just went blank and all the power lights went out, it didn't shut down it just cut out as if the battery had been removed. I immediately felt the laptop as I thought it may have overheated due to gaming, but no, the laptop was nice and cool.

I switched it back on, logged in and a little Norton 360 message on the bottom right mentioned something about a Trojan. I am currently running a full system scan on Norton 360 which is taking forever.

What could have caused this? How likely is it to happen again? Could cutting out like that have caused any damage?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:42 07 Feb 15

Cut outs are usually due to overheat as you suggested but also a failing power unit can cause the problem with a momentary drop in voltage.

Probably need to stress the machine by running intensive programs to see if it does it again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…