Is Asus K8V SE compatible with new PSU?

freewilly12 01:03 27 Dec 07

Hi Everyone,

I have an Asus K8V SE system with AMD 64 3200+ which runs ok, except a problem with the ATX Hiper 470w PSU where the 3.3v is fluctuating between 3.2 - 3.8v and setting the asusprobe monitor on alarm. Today it hit 4.0v . I replaced the Hiper PSU for an Antec Truepower Trio 650w but on powering up I got a blank screen even though the PSU, CPU & graphics fans running (The ATX12V 4 pins and separate graphics cards power plugged in also). Took out the Antec PSU and fitted back the faulty Hiper PSU, the system boot normally into win XP and everything works fine, except the dodgy 3.3v is still at 3.8v . Returned the Antec back to the shop where they checked it to be working correctly and they even proved it working on a new motherboard.
I refitted the Antec 650w again with the same result as before, a blank screen.
Returned the Antec for a Cooling Master Real Power 700w PSU. I am getting a blank screen again with white flashes now and again. Out goes the Cooling Master and in goes the old dodgy Hiper 470w psu again where everything works fine.
The only difference between the new and old 20 pin plugs, is the -5.0v cable missing on the new PSUs (the -5.0v is for ISA slots on the M/B and therefore not required nowadays)
I have tested the Cooling Master PSU in a new X38 chipset motherboard system and it works fine.

Has anybody had similar experience and solution for it? Thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…