Asus A8N-E Motherboard

tommagumpi 09:50 28 Mar 06

What the fastest cpu this motherboard will take & the most ram?

vinnyT 10:24 28 Mar 06

A8N-E supports AMD 939-pin Athlon 64 FX/ Athlon 64 processors with 1MB/512KB L2 cache which is based on 64-bit architecture. It features 2000/1600 MT/s HyperTransport Bus and dual-channel un-buffered DDR400 memory support.

This motherboard supports AMD 939-pin Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual-Core processor with 1MBx2 or 512KBx2 L2 cache which is based on 64-bit architecture. It features better multithreaded / multitasking performance than Athlon™ 64 FX / Athlon™ 64.

4 x 184-pin DIMM Sockets support max. 4GB DDR400/DDR333/DDR266 ECC/ non-ECC un-buffered DDR SDRAM memory Dual Channel Memory Architecture

click here

Hope this helps.

Jonno_G 10:29 28 Mar 06

seeing as it is a current model board, then I can't say what the max. CPU speed it will support is because AMD are still releasing new processors based on the socket 939 Athlon 64 architecture so that is an unknown quantity at the moment. All I can say there is that the fastest suitable processor that I have found is the Athlon 64 X2 4800+, but that retails at about AU$1150.00 over here.

As for the RAM, I suspect that the limitation would be imposed by the OS if you want to run Win XP, as it can only handle 4GB of RAM even if your board can handle more.

If, however, you want to run Win XP Pro X64 then I think that the theoretical limit on that is 16TB (yes, you did read 'Tera-Bytes').

In spite of this huge theoretical limit though, ASUS still don't seem to want to publish a maximum capacity for this model board.

Jonno_G 10:54 28 Mar 06

Aargh! Not fair!!

The UK ASUS site has WAY more info than the Aus, Global, or US ASUS sites do. I feel cheated. ;-)

vinnyT 12:41 29 Mar 06

Futher to what's already been said, although the board will support new cpus, it may be necessary to update the bios the enable these newer cpus.

You will have to check the asus site.

Totally-braindead 13:02 29 Mar 06

CPU support list click here as vinnyT has pointed out some CPUs require a newer BIOS which is listed as well.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…