Asus A7V8X-X with Athlon XP2200

MrGeesBigCircus 22:21 08 Nov 03

Hi, I've just put together a PC with the above motherboard and processor. Tried to power it up, but it's turning off after a couple of seconds. Tried many different hardware configurations, and found that power is sustained with the processor removed. This is the first machine I've put together, and I'm tearing my hair out! Please help!

wawadave 22:39 08 Nov 03

hello
is the cpu facing the correct way when installed?
is the cpu fan turning on? is there thermal compound on the cpu heat sink? is fan heat sink rated for that cpu?
you probably covered these but all i can think of besides try anther cpu.

MrGeesBigCircus 22:49 08 Nov 03

Yep, got all those sorted, and it's still turning off after a few seconds. Got a 300w PSU - could this be a factor?

have you got the correct settings for the cpu

i built a system today with Asus A7V8X-MX

and that had dip swithes to set the cpu up..

i imagine that board will be similar.

are they setup correctly for the cpu

goonerbill 09:49 09 Nov 03

sounds as if it could be PSU. remove all components or ribbons from other items and just boot up with cpu, graphics card and a hard drive. if all runs well, ya know its not the cpu.

really with todays pc's a 400watt PSU is best.

also as mentioned by the others, is cpu set up in bios correct and is h/s and fan up to the job.

MrGeesBigCircus 09:58 09 Nov 03

Eveything seems to be in order, but I'll go through everyones suggestions and try everything!

WaiKent 10:00 09 Nov 03

can you enter Bios? if so enter and check the status of fan cpu heat etc.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…