Asus A7V8X-MX SE M/b and Nightmare install of XP

Giggle n' Bits 00:12 28 Apr 04

Trying to install a new WinXP Home OEM on my newly built budget pc, running 256MB PC2700 DDR, AMD Duron 1.6GHz 266FSB, 40GB IBM HDD, Onboard VGA set at 32MB, with the Boot order of CDROM primary Master and CDROM (only other drive) as Secondary Master.

Problem is I have Got to the stage of formating HDD after the XP pre-install copies the necesarry files, then it goes to restart & won't boot comes up with Disk error, press CTRL-ALT-DEL to restart the machine.

Ok, done this a few times and repeats itself, then I have made it boot from the CDROM and goes through stage one by coppying the files again and now re-fopmatting and stuck.

So the problem is why wont it pick up and install XP home without a fuss ?

Is the CDROM drive faulty ? even though it will copy the system files accross ok but won't reboot and do the install.

Giggle n' Bits 00:40 28 Apr 04

Currently the Bios is 1002 and I need 1003 to fix x2 problems one is a AC power loop/restart problem and other this install problem.

People say with new motherboards you should clear the CMOS before setting up and getting the O's on but they don't tell you the BIOS will need you updating if you do.

Phil930 00:43 28 Apr 04

Go back to basics. When i install XP i set my boot devices to the following;

1) First boot device CD ROM
2) Second Boot Device HD-0

Start again and when asked to press any key to boot from cd accept. Enter the windows set up screen and press F8 to accept the agreement. press enter to continue to install a fresh version of XP. Delete the selected partition (your current harddrive) be pressing D, then at the next screen you are prompted to continue by pressing 'L' i think. then it will bring you back to the main screen and list the harddrive as an unpartitioned space. Press 'enter' or 'Esc' at this point (i forget which one) to continue installing a fresh version of XP on the computer. Choose to format harddrive using NTFS file system (and not the quick format).

Then let windows copy across the necessary files and the computer will then reboot. do not change any BIOS settings yet, just don't press anything when asked if you want to boot from the cd (if it still does this). Then windows will begin the installation. Once installed reboot and change your Bios to a different boot order. I have mine set to

Primary - Floppy, Secondary - HD0, Third - CD-ROM

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…