Asus A7V BIOS and Windows XP Upgrade

sacza 17:50 27 Jan 06

Hi, looking at other BIOS topics in the Helproom, and the disasters which have followed, I would appreciate anyone with expert knowledge of this board and it's compatibility with XP Pro. Do I need to update the BIOS before I upgrade from Win98 SE to Win XP Pro SP2?

I have a copy of my original BIOS and the AFlash BIOS writing utility, just in case, along with instructions in my mobo manual. Have looked on both the Microsoft and Asus website FAQs for this compatibility question - without success. Thanks to anyone who has been there before with this and can advise. I have a functioning system and would like to keep it that way, but for moving to XP because the Win98 updates cause the PC to fail to reboot! XP Pro (I hope) will be better for networking. Cheers, Sacza

Gongoozler 17:56 27 Jan 06

I'm using an Asus A7V8X-X with Windows XP Pro with SP2, and it's working perfectly. I've also installed Windows XP on computers with much older motherboards quite successfully. The age of the motherboard isn't as important as having adequate memory. 256M is really the minimum for successful running of XP.

sacza 21:03 27 Jan 06

Thanks Gongoozler,

I caught sight of the product test page on the Microsoft website for your board and wondered if it would apply across the range of A7V mobos:-

click here

I don't know enough about BIOS updates to know when and why one would want to do it, other than to rectify problems, which I don't have that many of at present. Unless I get a very contrary piece of guidance, I'll set about the install on Sunday morning...and hope for the best!! I have around 380Mb RAM and a partitioned 80Gb HDD (3 x 27Gb) Cheers, Sacza

Totally-braindead 22:28 27 Jan 06

The majority of BIOS updates I believe are to provide support for newer processors which didn't exist when the motherboard was created. Unless this is the case with you then I wouldn't recommend trying it.

PC Bilbo 22:54 27 Jan 06

I'm running XP Home SP2 with no problems on this board (gold version).Started with original BIOS using Athlon XP 1800+ Palamino core then upgraded to XP2800+ Thornton & finally to XP 3000+ Barton.

I'm currently running BIOS Version 1013 without problems. Upgraded BIOS twice to cater for CPU changes.

Yr basic hardware looks fine, I would load up and not worry about BIOS at this stage. If you look at Asus BIOS update page for this model click here you should only change if you see a problem you experience which this may resolve otherwise leave well alone (if it ain't broke, don't fix it!)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…