ASUS A7N8X USB half works

skeletal 12:53 25 Apr 03

Hi folks

I have just upgraded my ‘puter: ASUS A7N8X mobo, AMD 2700XP, 512M DDR 2700 RAM, Maxtor 120Gb HD.

Running ME.

I am having quite a few problems (what’s new!) but the one that has me totally stuck is a USB problem. When I plug my compact flash card reader into the USB port, its green LED lights as normal. Checking device manager shows it present OK. When I then plug a CF card into it, the green light virtually goes out, the hour glass appears for hours, the computer slows to a crawl, and eventually the contents of the CF appear. It’s like the USB speed is 1 bit per hour!

The reader and card are OK (checked on another computer). Two other USB devices I have work fine with the new board.

I suspect drivers, so I tried to update the drivers from the CF cards CD. Got a message saying “ME already supports this device so you don’t need drivers”. So, I went to device manager and “forced” the drivers from the CD “into” the card reader. This looked hopeful as a new USB symbol together with the “forced” names appeared. However, when I then tried to look at a CF, the problem was still there.

Also, I note in device manager, the default icons for the “Standard OpenHCI USB Host Controller” have a tiny “?” in a green dot underneath. Very suspicious! The devices that work show up separately, but the CF seemed to want to use the Host Controller, until I forced it.

Needless to say I have tried removing the USB stuff and rebooting. Also, I have changed the BIOS between USB2+USB1.1 and just USB1.1. Nothing works. Oh, the BIOS is virtually the latest, I don’t really want to try their beta version of the next new one!

Oh, and I’ve tried a few Asus help sites, but haven’t found anything about USB problems (although I’m sure someone somewhere knows the answer).

As the CF reader is vital to me (I use it to transfer files between home and work; it is one of the most important bits to me!) I am panicking! Do I have the slowest XP2700 system in the world?

Thanks for any ideas

Skeletal

MartinT-B 13:09 25 Apr 03

Hmmm

You could get the USB2 drivers from the Asus Site. It's the nForce MoBo driver updates you want.

If you had XP, they're included with Service Pack 1, see if there's a windows update for ME from Microsoft too. If so, choose the MS one first and if that doesn't do it check the Asus Site download site for A7N8X click here (NOTE this is NOT the same and A7N8X Deluxe)

nForcers forum for Asus click here
Amd Forum for Asus click here

skeletal 13:30 25 Apr 03

Thanx MartinT-B, I'll have a poke about the sites, but I don't think it's the USB2 bit that's a problem (I've disabled it at the moment anyway...I'm trying everything!), but USB1.

It should all work, but as it doesn't, I'll try anything!!

Skeletal

PS Does anyone know what the "?" in the green dot means? I've got a gut feeling this has something to do with it.

MartinT-B 13:44 25 Apr 03

Hmmm

I've got the Deluxe version of your board.

It has USB2 (which is backwards compatible), are you sure your board is USB1 only?

That might be your problem.

Have a read through your manual.

MartinT-B 13:47 25 Apr 03

Just re-read what you said!!

Re-enable the USB.

King Diamond 14:01 25 Apr 03

Yeah...I'd load up the USB 2 drivers, as you have the same board as me it makes sense to get the fastes performance out your pc as possible. USB 2 is about 40x faster than USB1, so I'd do that as standard.

The Sack 14:29 25 Apr 03

USB2 may be 40X times faster but you need a USB2 device to do that, it wont magicaly make all your current USB stuff go like stink.

King Diamond 14:54 25 Apr 03

Duh!

MartinT-B 15:06 25 Apr 03

he A7N8X and the deluxe version have USB2 as standard. click here

Skeletal can't get his USB to work properly.

I suspect because he's loaded USB1 drivers onto his machine. These came with his CF card

QUOTE " suspect drivers, so I tried to update the drivers from the CF cards CD. Got a message saying “ME already supports this device so you don’t need drivers”. So, I went to device manager and “forced” the drivers from the CD “into” the card reader. This looked hopeful as a new USB symbol together with the “forced” names appeared. However, when I then tried to look at a CF, the problem was still there. " ENDQUOTE.

As he's forces the wrong drivers on he needs to uninstall them.

He alsp appears to have disbaled his USB in the BIOS

QUOTE " suspect drivers, so I tried to update the drivers from the CF cards CD. Got a message saying “ME already supports this device so you don’t need drivers”. So, I went to device manager and “forced” the drivers from the CD “into” the card reader. This looked hopeful as a new USB symbol together with the “forced” names appeared. However, when I then tried to look at a CF, the problem was still there. " ENDQUOTE.

IMHO he need to uninstall the USB1 drivers. Re-enable USB in the BIOS and install USB2 drivers. The best way to re-install is from Microsoft, but if not he can get them fom Asus as part of his MoBo drivers for the nForce chipset.

MartinT-B 15:08 25 Apr 03

Damn quote 2 is wrong!!

QUOTE "I'll have a poke about the sites, but I don't think it's the USB2 bit that's a problem (I've disabled it at the moment anyway...I'm trying everything!), but USB1." ENDQUOTE.

skeletal 19:04 25 Apr 03

Hi folks

Thanks for trying. I'd been playing with this for many hours before starting the thread. I started off with USB2 and all the USB2 stuff/drivers etc. It was only when all that failed that I tried to use the USB1 stuff from the other computer (because that works fine).

There was little on the microsoft site, but something about an nVidia media thingy looked a very (very!) remote posibility, so I gave that a try...no luck of course.

I have tried "forcing" the USB to the drivers (the latest as far as I know) that came with the motherboard CD. That didn't work either.

Have been busy on other things for the last hour or two, but will trawl the other links and continue to play.

I'll also try re-enabling USB2 in the BIOS i.e. to get back where I started from, and start again!

Note that it is only the flash cards that don't work (so far) two other USB1 devices work fine. I'll try a couple more I have and see what happens.

Skeletal

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…