Asus A7N8X - Major installation problems

Phil930 04:20 14 Apr 04

I just bought an Asus A7N8X PCB Version 2.0 motherboard.

My other components are an AMD XP 2400+, 120Gb Maxtor HD, GF4Ti4600 and 1Gb PC2100 DDR Ram running Win XP Pro.

I installed the motherboard with only the processor, RAM and graphics card first and it booted fine. i accessed the BIOS and changed a few settings, such as boot from CD so i can install Windows. I also changed the FSB speed to 133 (working at 266) to make my processor work at its full speed and not appear as an XP 1800.

I then powered down, and plugged in harddrive, floppy and cd drives and booted the computer.

All was fine, i selected to boot from CD. Setup began to load files to install Windows XP. I selected to continue installing a fresh copy of XP and everytime i do this the computer locks on the blue screen where Windows setup is examining my harddrive.

When i hit the reboot button on the front of the machine the computer boots but does not go past the memory count. it does not detect any IDE devices. Also at this stage i am unable to enter BIOS as i seems to make the keyboard fail.

I am not using any USB connections yet, i reverted to PS2 for keyboard.

Can anyone help me to get me past this frustrating stage of installation?

temp003 05:07 14 Apr 04

Check all the connections again.

Make sure fans are properly connected.

There are jumpers on the mobo for setting the FSB. Make sure they are set to 1-2, not 2-3 (double check with manual).

If 2 hard disks are connected (but sounds as though you've connected only one) to the same ide channel, make sure jumpers are properly set as master and slave.

Remove extra RAM modules and just leave one in. If one doesn't work, try the other one(s).

If after all this, you still can't get into BIOS, try disconnecting the hard disk, and try again. If that still does work, try clearing CMOS - see if there's a jumper to do it - check manual on how to do this.

If you can get back into BIOS, try using the default settings, even if it detects the wrong CPU. Also make sure that boot virus detection is disabled.

When installing XP, use one memory module first. After XP is installed (if you get there), add memory and change BIOS settings if necessary.

Phil930 05:13 14 Apr 04

Its funny how something so simple can be very misleading. The Asus board has 3 DIMM slots.

For Dual Channel memory it says use either Dimm's 1 and 3 or Dimm's 2 and 3. I have two sticks of 512Mb DDR Ram. I took them out and re-installed them and now it works fine.

On boot it tells me my Ram Count of 1Gb working at 133Mhz, Dual Channel Memory. Does this sound correct?

I think it must be as 133Mhz = my FSb of 266 of my processor and RAM. Secondly, what does Dual Channel memory mean? does it mean two sticks in place?

Anyway, i will keep this thread open as when i get home from work tomorrow night i need assistance with BIOS settings.

temp003 05:39 14 Apr 04

Memory resulting frequency should be 133. That's correct.

Dual channel - the nForce2 chipset has 2 memory controllers. When you use a pair, you double the bandwidth (theoretically) for data transfer between the RAM and the CPU.

lamda 10:45 14 Apr 04

into my postings

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…